Inches to gallons in 30 gallon drum

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Inches to gallons in 30 gallon drum

Postby Sprayline » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 am

Inches to gallons in 30 gallon drum. For a 55 gallon drum I use 1.7 gallons per inch.
Sprayline

Postby Dirtman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 pm

It depends on the drum as they all aren't the same dimensions and in fact can be quite variable, per an internet search.

A standard carbon steel drum meeting ANSI MH2-1997 specifications has an I.D. (inside diameter) of 18.25" and an I.H. (inside height) of 27.5" but also has (as do most steel drums) swedged rolling rings molded into the metal, which makes the diameter wider in these annular rings. Thus, volume by the inch will only be approximate.

Filled drums will also have an airspace of 1" or more. Not taking into account the slight increase of volume the rolling rings will factor into the equation, 30 gallons of water will fill a drum with the above specs to approximately 26.49" (30 gal * 231 in^3 / (PI/4) * 18.25^2).

30 gallons / 26.49" = 1.13 gallons per inch approximate. If higher accuracy is important, use a smaller graduated container of known volume.
Dirtman
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions