How many eye drops in 5 ml -

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Re: How many eye drops in 5 ml -

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:10 am

hgbro wrote:How many drops in 5 ml. I am taking drops for my eye and 5 ml has to contain at least 20 drops to make it.,

5 drops in 5 ml

How many drops in 5ml

Postby tuckahoedan2 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 pm

To determine the approximate number of non-viscous "eye drops" in a "typical" drop dispensing squeeze bottle container I suggest the Jan 03, 2006 Guest post - "the medical drop is defined as 1/12 mL (83 1/3 iL.") This explanation, however, exceeds my grasp of the science.

It seems to come close to equating a half drop to a minim. A minim (half drop) = approximately 0.0616 ml. Divide 5ml by 0.0616 = equivalent of about 81.17 half drops, i.e. 81 half drops.

Divide 81ml by 2 = 40.5 drops.

5ml = 41 drops. :?:

(0.1232 minims = 1 drop) (5ml divided by 0.1232 minims = 40.58 or 41 drops.)

I weighed an unopened 5ml container of eye drops, using "sensitive" postal scales. Using another equivalent empty container I added the equivalent weight in water. I squeezed out 100 drops. :?:

Disclaimer: As inferred I claim no mathematical expertise!
tuckahoedan2

How many drops in 5ml

Postby tuckahoedan2 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 pm

Redux :shock:

Belated, it occurred to me that the Guest post, Friday Dec 02, 2005 "You should make it" is a reasonable, straight forward and dependable guide - for me. The range of 50-100 drops, although expansive, has the ring of "it is more likely than not - realm of probability!"
tuckahoedan2

Postby sabina » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:17 pm

It depends on the place where you keep your Eye drops, they might have a higher volume if you keep them in a bit warmer place thus resultuing more drops.
sabina

Postby saucy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am

5ml of solution should equal 20 drops. so if you need to put it in each eye it should last you 10 days.
saucy

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 am

1drop in1ml.

Postby Dhruvi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 am

In 1,000,000 drops there are1,000,000 ml.
Dhruvi

Postby guest 2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:54 am

hgbro wrote:How many drops in 5 ml. I am taking drops for my eye and 5 ml has to contain at least 20 drops to make it.,
8)

5ml = 120 drops :roll:
guest 2

eye droppers

Postby laxgirl17 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:02 am

I am 20, and need to know hjow many milliliters are in an eye dropper. I am
working on a science projdect, and my teacher is anidiot.
laxgirl17

drops

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm

1ml=15-20drops
so 5ml is 75-80drops

Postby guest » Fri May 02, 2008 9:21 am

A standard 5 ml bottle of eyedrops contains 100 drops. For a more detailed explanation cut and paste this into your browser:
blogs.webmd.com/eye-on-vision/2007/09/how-many-drops-are-in-that-eyedrop.html

Postby jacagigi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:41 pm

There are 60 drops in 4-5 ml.

This according to the relationship between The Household and the Metric System. Anybody who study nursing should know that.
jacagigi

Postby GregW » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 am

Anonymous wrote:1drop in1ml.

Please! You're telling me that there are five drops of liquid in one teaspoon ?
GregW

How many drops in 5ml?

Postby PharmaTech » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 am

Easy, 5ml=100 drops in MEDICAL DOSAGE. There is of course a +/- 5% variance allowed but 20 drops per ml is the most commonly used formula.
Now if someone could just quantify old time measurements such as a "smidge", "pinch" and "dollop". Lol
PharmaTech

Postby tamer mak » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:07 pm

1 ml = 16 drops approximatly
tamer mak

drop

Postby SacRoadKing » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

1 drop=1ml=1 gram for H2O.

IMHO
SacRoadKing

Postby rkpdm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 am

It depends on density and viscosity of the liquid.
rkpdm

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:52 pm

rkpdm wrote:It depends on density and viscosity of the liquid.

iF you are a chemistry student and done titration you will know that o.1 ml is equivalent to 2 drops. When you take out 20 drops, the meniscus falls by
1 ml. Hence 5 ml is equivalent to 100 drops. Actually, eye drops are in 5 ml packing, like IOTIM used for glaucoma.

Postby DoubleBilledDueToDrops » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 am

Humana Health Insurance calculates 100 drops in a 5mL bottle of glacoma prescription eye drops. So does Costco for fear of Humana audit, the cosco phamacist told me. I keep my drops in the refigerator and only get 50-60 drops. Bottom line to me is the cost doubles with my insurance if I go to Cosco. This is not the case with others.
DoubleBilledDueToDrops

Postby ChaseHamil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Part of the problem is the inability to determine how many drops are left, since most ophthalmic solutions are in opaque bottles. Shaking the bottle won't tell you when you are down to the last few drops. Drops are also "wasted" when one misses the eye or squeezes more than the prescribed amount. Pharmacy workers should be a little more lenient before sending you home empty handed.
ChaseHamil

Postby pharmacyTech » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:44 am

I work at a pharmacy and am studying for my pharmacy technician certification exam. I do this every day when typing in prescriptions. 1ml = 20 drops, so I always times the size of the bottle in ml by 20. so 5 * 20 = 100. but as I'm only studying today, I noticed my conversion guide I was looking over real quick has 1ml = 20 drops and also 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 dram, 60 drops so that really confuses me since I'm an ex math major, I don't see how 1ml = 20 drops but yet 5ml = 60 drops since 5 * 20 is not 60. I know this question was posted many years ago but I thought I'd clarify or well not clarify for anyone googling this later
pharmacyTech

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 am

So its being said that keeping eye drops in the refrigerator causes a 5ml bottle to yield only 60 drops due to refrigeration, and at room temperature the same container of 5ml yields about 100 drops. Assuming this is true, logic predicts the refrigerated drops contain more 'medicine' than prescribed, so should be avoided since most eye drops do not appear recommended to be refrigerated by the manufacturer or doctor. This is not to say refrigeration harms the medicine, only that the amount of medicine in each drop is nearly doubled at that yield rate. My pharmacist also suggested that most 5ml dropper packages yield about 100 drops per 5ml although there are some products having thicker viscocity requiring a larger opening and therefore yielding fewer larger drops per ml.

Postby sternlight » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 am

I have 5ml bottlles of eye drops (Falcon) prescribed by my physician.

The instructions are to use for 4 weeks and each bottle of the two different medications has lasted for that period. That is 28 days X 4 drops per day or 112 drops. I reckon there is an additional 10 percent wastage when I miss my eye, so 120 drops per 5 ml or 24 drops per ml seems appropriate.

This differs from some of the wildly different comments here. In particular, 1 drop per ml seems absurd.

The only things I can think of are that: 1. The manufacturer puts a little extra in, and 2. there is a difference between the size of an eyedropper drop and an opthalmic dispensing bottle drop.

David Sternlight, PhD
Los Angeles
sternlight

Postby Roth7 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:35 am

My bottle of Bromonidine Tartrate says 5ML but on label is states "bottle filled to 1/2 capacity". Does this mean the bottle only contains2.5ML?
Roth7

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Roth7 wrote:My bottle of Bromonidine Tartrate says 5ML but on label is states "bottle filled to 1/2 capacity". Does this mean the bottle only contains2.5ML?

The bottle will still have 5mL in it. If I remember correctly, the label says "filled to 1/2 capacity," because bottles are made larger than 5mL so you have room to shake the meds. Probably just a disclaimer for those who may shake the bottle and think, "Aww, it's not full." I think of the bottles like bags of chips in that sense. (Not that you shake chip bags, but there's always room for air in the packaging. :P)

We usually say 1mL holds approximately 20 drops.

(I'm an ophthalmic technician. Hope this helps!)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 am

in US fluid measure one drop = 0.05ml so twenty drops = one ml (20 x 0.05 = 1.0)

a teaspoon ~ 5ml (4.93ml) and it takes three teaspoon (tsp) = one tablespoon (the size spoon most in the US eat liquids from a bowl)
it takes six tbsp to make one fluid ounce (29.57ml, the brits see an oz as 28.4ml)
a cup (8 oz) is 236.6ml

so orig question 5 ml = 5 ml x 20 drops per ml = 100 drops

1 cubic centimeter (cc) = 1 milliliter (ml) e.g. cc measurements for US engine displacement, medical syringe
so again 1 cc = 1 ml = 20 drops

Postby Simplesolutions » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 am

I would take your dropper and measure how many drops it takes to fill 5ml. Do this 3-5 times and average the drops. Unless you have a medical graduated pipette it's not going to be accurate.
Simplesolutions

Postby medbear » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 am

According to the professors & teachers at the Newton site which is also Dept of Energy connected, 20 drops of a liquid similar to water in consistency,is equal to 1 ml. Not all droppers are the same, some large,some small,so the amount/size of drops are not entirely equal. The amount of 20 drops/1-ml is a 'general' proposition & only measurement with calibrated instruments,pipettes,etc.,can determine exact amounts. For example,if your dropper is 1 inch diameter & 12 inches long versus 1/8 inch & 3 inches long,there is a large difference in capacity or volume.
medbear

Postby EyeDr2013 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am

Many of these posts are all over the chart and while they sound good and scientific, they are plain inaccurate. I saw a post that said, 1ml is 15-20 drops. Therefore, a 5ml bottle would contain 75-100 drops. For most using a drop 1-2 times per day, the bottle should last at least a month.
EyeDr2013

Postby Sam32 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:02 am

The more of these comments that I read, the more confused I become. Maybe I should just average? I only know that my prescription for Allergan Alphagan and Lumigan (for glaucoma) each require two drops per day. For a 30 day dosage the pharmacy dispenses 5 mL of Alphagan, but only 2.5 mL of Lumigan. I am occasionally hard-pressed to make the Lumigan last for the full 30 days. I see a smaller dispensing hole in the Lumigan container. Are all drops of the same weight? :(
Sam32

Postby twrx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:21 am

Im a practicing Pharmacist, 1ml of H20 = 20 drops average , this can vary with the liquids visosity , and temperature leading to a larger drop due to increase of surface tension , generally the industry standard is 15-20 drops per ml average , so an eye drop thats a solution gets about 20 drops per ml thus 5ml=100drops..if its a gel,suspension or kept in the fridge I use the 15 drop per ml
twrx

Postby GAGranny13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 am

GregW wrote:
Anonymous wrote:1drop in1ml.

Please! You're telling me that there are five drops of liquid in one teaspoon ?

YOU ARE WRONG, 1 drop is not 1 ML
GAGranny13

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions