need help with a formula

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

need help with a formula

Postby Controversy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:34 am

Can someone explain to me what each of these symbols mean:

F = Gm1m2/r2

Postby shill » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:51 am

F means the force of gravity. G means the gravitational constant. m1 and m2 are masses, and I think r² means the radius of the larger object multiplied by itself.
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:22 am

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:55 am

r is actually the distance between the centers of mass of the two objects.

The difference is very important in case of attraction between earth and moon, but not so important for normal size objects on the surface of the earth.

More info

  • List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

    Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions