conversion of cubic inhes to gallons

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

conversion of cubic inhes to gallons

Postby mark stenly » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:13 am

Hi everyone...I have one that I cannot figure out...

I have a fuel tank on my boat that is a hexogonal in shape measuring 92 inches long, 42 wide at the top, five inches on the outter left edge then down 16 inches, 12 inches at the bottom, 16 inches on the lower right edge, and finally 5 inches.

I was told the tank held 160 gallons. I need to replace it but only want a tank of 120 gallons. Keeping all other dimensions the same, what would the length be?

mark stenly

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:19 am

1 US gallon = 231 cubic inches (exactly)

I'm having trouble visualizing shape to compute volume and check the 160 gallons. However, if you keep cross section the same and ONLY change length, volume should be proportional to length.

Therefore 92"/160 gal x 120 gal = 69"

More info

  • List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

    Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions