metric math

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

metric math

Postby polly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:23 am

4000 grams of water hs a mass of -------------cubic litere

45 milliliters of water has a volume of ---- --------- -------
polly

Re: metric math

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm

polly wrote:4000 grams of water hs a mass of -------------cubic litere

45 milliliters of water has a volume of ---- --------- -------

I'm hoping you made some mistakes in transcribing your homework. Otherwise, your teacher needs a course in remedial metric.

*The gram (or kilogram) is a unit of mass. 4000 g could be better expressed as 4 kg.
*The liter is a unit of volume, NOT a unit of mass. Water at maximum density (4 degrees C) just happens to be 1 L/kg, so this is also about 4 L.
As liters are already a unit of volume, there is no such thing as a "cubic liter." However, a liter is equal to a cubic decimeter, a cube 1 dm x 1 dm x 1 dm.

45 mL of water has a volume of a 45 mL of water. I suppose you could also say 0.045 L or 45000 uL; while both numbers would be mathematically correct, they are not convenient and are discouraged. 45 mL of water would have a mass of about 45 g.

For a substance other than water, having a density different from 1 kg/L, understanding the difference between volume and mass is critically important.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions