Help Argument

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Help Argument

Postby asuquo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:16 pm

Having bought two bottles of cream off ebay(2x240mls) i noticed they seemed lighter than normal(288grams and 236 grams) compared to a shop bought bottle(308grams).I realise liquids will weigh more or less relative to their density but to have the same product weighing upto 25% less i thought was odd.
The ebay shop said i quote..(it is not sold in a weight otherwise it would have gramms on the bottle.It is sold in volume which is in mls.Please do go to ebay as you wont have a leg to stand on as explained this product does not get sold by weight but by volume.Please learn your physics and you will realise why liquids are sold by volume i.e. mls,and solids are sold by weight.)
Can you give me your thoughts on this subject please.
asuquo

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Well, it sounds a little dubious, but it is true that it is sold by volume, so find a measuring cup of at least 240 mL capacity, measure and pour back in bottle. (ALso weigh the empty bottle, subtract from weight of full bottle for net contents)

Do your weights include the weight of the bottle? You really need to compare the net contents weight. Different brands could have VERY different tare weights for the empty bottle, based on material (plastic vs glass) and thickness.

Dairy products at 4.4 degrees C seem to have varying densities from 1.008 kg/L for heavy cream to 1.036 kg/L for skim milk (the milk solids are heavier than water, the fat lighter). I would expect a net contents weight in the range 242-249 g depending on fat content.

The weights you give must include bottle weight, except for the 236 g bottle. Either the bottle is short or adulterated with god knows what. Even water would weight more.

While most eBay dealers are honest, I don't think I'd buy food products on eBay.

Postby asuquo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:09 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I would be unable to empty contents and weigh them as it is a thick body cream so isnt practicle.The 3 weights are aii including the bottle and are all the same exact product ,size and bottle etc, just from two different shops.
asuquo

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Ahh, I assumed DAIRY cream, so my density data is entirely useless.

The 236 g bottle is almost certainly misfilled. The other one is a "maybe."

Depending on how thick (viscous) it is, it should probably be sold by weight, not volume.

I would mark the level to which it filled. Then when empty, fill with water from a measuring cup to the same point. At least you will know how much you were cheated by.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions