Conversion tables for quilting

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Conversion tables for quilting

Postby RussWilliams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 am

Hi, couldn't really figure where to post this, but here's my problem: My wife is becoming a quilter, so she wants to work/think in inches and common fractions(eighths, 16ths, etc.). She has a fancy sewing machine made somewhere in Europe (Sweden I think) that wants to express things in millimeters, so she asked me (being a computer nerd with a Masters degree in Math): can you make me a conversion table? So, has any clever person come up with any appropriate tables? It's easy enough of course to generate tables using decimals, but I wondered if there was anything better.
RussWilliams

Re: Conversion tables for quilting

Postby Dirtman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 pm

RussWilliams wrote:Hi, couldn't really figure where to post this, but here's my problem: My wife is becoming a quilter, so she wants to work/think in inches and common fractions(eighths, 16ths, etc.). She has a fancy sewing machine made somewhere in Europe (Sweden I think) that wants to express things in millimeters, so she asked me (being a computer nerd with a Masters degree in Math): can you make me a conversion table? So, has any clever person come up with any appropriate tables? It's easy enough of course to generate tables using decimals, but I wondered if there was anything better.

Russ:

You can get a table for drill bit sizes in proper fractions to mm but most only go to one inch. Sounds like a job for Excel, which will be simple enough to do, as there are exactly 25.4 mm/inch.

I have another suggestion . . . get her a metric sewing tape. You might need to do a couple of conversions, say 4" squares to mm, but then the tape will match the sewing machine. Constantly having to convert, or even look at a chart, will quickly get monotonous.
Dirtman
Expert

Re: Conversion tables for quilting

Postby RussWilliams » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 pm

@Dirtman: Brilliant! In fact, she already has a tape measure that has both kinds of units on it. She just never paid attention to the metric part. Thanks loads for the idea!
RussWilliams

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions