2 math problems

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

2 math problems

Postby JamesNanne » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:48 pm

I have three hard math problems that I can not figure out no matter how hard I try. I would be nice if some one would help me and get an answer for each (or maybe just give me one) and how to do the problem.

1. Three people play a game in which one person loses and two people win each game. The one who loses must double the amount of money that each of the other two players has the time. The three players agree to play three games. At the end of the three games, each player has lost one game each person has $8. What was the original stake of each player?

2. In a ball game where only 10 and 13 points can be scored at any one time, what is the largest final score that cannot be obtained?

3. Suppose five bales of hay are weighed two at a time in all possible ways. The weights in pounds are 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113. How much does each bale weigh? (Bale weight must be whole numbers.)
JamesNanne

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:09 am

#2. The answer is 107.

Solution:
*THe multiples of 10 don't affect the units digit. It can only be affected by multiples of 13, 0-9 times 13 is:
0, 13, 26, 39, 52, 65, 78, 91, 104, 117.

*That list includes all possible values of the units digit, 0-9. For each value of the units digit, the figure given is the lowest number ending in that units digit that is achievable, for example 39 is the lowest achievable number ending in 9. Any higher number just needs sufficient multiples of 10.

*117 is the lowest number ending in 7. 107 is the highest number not achievable. (108-116 can all be achieved by adding multiples of 10 to lower achievable numbers).

Ryan

Postby ryan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:38 pm

8 8 8

game 3:

2 win and in the end each have 8 dollars

that means that the loser had to double x to get 16, or 16/2 = 8

So each winner has 4 dollars before game 3, the loser had 8.

game 2:

4 4 8

4/2 + 8/2 = 2 + 4

so we have 2, 4, 4

game 1:

2 4 4

4/2 + 2/2 = 2 + 1

so we have 2, 1, 4
ryan

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions