Storing area for 4000 tires

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Storing area for 4000 tires

Postby beastman29 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:40 am

I have 4000 tire coming and need to know how many square feet needed to store these tire. Average tire size will be 18" Diam. 245X75R. Thank YOU !
beastman29

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 am

OK, the 245 (mm) is the width of the tire, or 9.65". The outer diameter of the tire is twice the section height + the rim diameter, and is 18" + 2 *0.75 *245 mm, converting all to inches 32.5"

You actually need to be concerned with cubic feet. You have to know how high you can stack to determine the floor area. Also can they be "close stacked" or do you need room to get around and get to particular tires? I'm assuming:
*You can stack about 8' high, that is a stack of 10 tires
*You can "close stack". If you need access room, allow extra

So you would have 400 stacks of tires, 10 tires high (96.5" or 8' 0.5"). Although the tires are round, you have to consider the shape of a hexagon around them for close packing. So the area of the hexagon, given the inscribed diameter is 0.866*d^2, or 915 in^2 or 6.36 ft^2. You need 400 stacks, or 2544 ft^2 MINIMUM. Remember, this is close stacked. If you need room to get to particular tires, you need more, probably AT LEAST 3000 sq ft, maybe 3500.

Also, I don't know anything about tires. Is stacking 8 feet high realistic? But considering floor area and height, you need around 3000 sq ft x 8 ft = 24000 ft^3, and that is probably tight.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions