I haven't done this inmany years!!! I need help

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

I haven't done this inmany years!!! I need help

Postby Laurel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 am

I don't get this at all

A rectangle is 9 feet longer than it is wide, and its area is 36 square feet. Find its dimensions.

can someone help me please :D :x
Laurel

Re: I haven't done this inmany years!!! I need help

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:50 am

Laurel wrote:I don't get this at all

A rectangle is 9 feet longer than it is wide, and its area is 36 square feet. Find its dimensions.

can someone help me please :D :x

The above is a word equation. You have to reduce it to a math equation representing the information, but solvable.

The area of a rectangle is length x width. You don't know the length and width but you know something about them. We will assign a symbol (the letter x is customary, but I'll use y to avoid confusion with multiplicayion). I don't know the width, but I'll call it y. The length is 9' longer or y+9.

The area is y*(y+9) =36

This can be rewritten as y^2 + 9*y -36 = 0

This can be solved by the quadratic formula, or you may see how to factor it. In fact, it factors
(y+12)*(y-3) =0
There are two solutions, when each of the factors is zero. y= 3 is one solution (the other is y = -12, which makes no physical sense and is discarded. It solves the math, but not the real world problem). If the width is 3, the length is 12. As a check, 3*12 = 36.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions