Converting square feet to linear feet

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Converting square feet to linear feet

Postby Elliott » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:23 am

How do I convert square feet to linear feet?
Elliott

Re: Converting square feet to linear feet

Postby convert-me.com » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Elliott wrote:How do I convert square feet to linear feet?

Let me point you out to this old blog article on converting square feet to linear feet.
convert-me.com
Site Admin

Postby matrixmary » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:28 am

I disagree with the old blog post saying it isn't possible. It depends on what you are trying to convert. For example when we are measuring for backsplashes in homes we order the tile by the square foot but pay the labor by the linear foot. So if the backsplash mosaic is on a 12x12 mesh mount but the backsplash is 4" then we would pay for 3 linear feet of labor for every 1 square foot of material because you can get three pieces out of the 12x12 mosaic. So if that is the case, how can it be impossible to convert??
matrixmary

Postby convert-me.com » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:57 pm

matrixmary wrote:I disagree with the old blog post saying it isn't possible. It depends on what you are trying to convert. For example when we are measuring for backsplashes in homes we order the tile by the square foot but pay the labor by the linear foot. So if the backsplash mosaic is on a 12x12 mesh mount but the backsplash is 4" then we would pay for 3 linear feet of labor for every 1 square foot of material because you can get three pieces out of the 12x12 mosaic. So if that is the case, how can it be impossible to convert??

Let me quote what the old blog post says:
So the conclusion is -- many things can be calculated, but calculations can be complex and always require a lot of extra information. Conversions are simple, but only allow to convert between units that measure exactly the same things.

So you are absolutely right in your example. This calculation is possible indeed. But notice the amount of "extra" information you had to provide for the calculation: the details on the mesh mount and the backsplash. Without knowing this extra data nobody would be able to say that 3 linear feet equal to 1 square foot. Moreover, if your extra details were different, the result would be different too. That's why it's not a conversion. And there is no absolute conversion between linear, square and cubic units, as the formula depends on many extra details.
convert-me.com
Site Admin

Postby daavidfischer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I am planning to buy flooring for my new house. From a nearby shop, we found the wood that we want but it is sold by the linear foot instead of the square foot. I need to know how many linear feet of wood to buy to cover 1300 square feet for space. Can you help!
daavidfischer

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions