calculating acreage

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

calculating acreage

Postby walterwhiteo1@hotmail.com » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:22 pm

I have one property with two deeds(county has merged property) can you calculate acreage? Description is as follows: 1st Deed:
Begining seventy and four tenths feet (70.4) north from the southeast corner of Kipling street and Phillips Drive, thence south one hundred fifty four and four tenths feet (154.4), thence east seventy five feet (75), thence north one hundred fifty eight and four tenths feet (158.4) to Kipling street, thence west seventy five feet (75) along the south side of Kipling street to the point of begining.
2nd Deed: Begining at the southeast corner of Kipling street and Phillips drive and running thence east along the south side of Kipling street seventy and four tenths feet (70.4) to a point, running thence south one hundred fifty four and four tenths feet (154.4) to a point, running thence west 70 feet (70) to the east side of Phillips Drive, running thence north along the east side of Phillips drive one hundred fifty and four tenths (150.4) feet to the point of begining
walterwhiteo1@hotmail.com

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:46 pm

Only roughly. The lots sound approximately rectangular, as the direction changes are described as 90 degrees at the corners, and opposite sides are roughly, but not exactly equal.

For an exact calculation, you need a subdivision plot that gives the bearing angles as well as the lengths of each property line.

However, as rough approximaton, I would average the opposite sides and treat as a rectangle
So lot 2 is about 75' x 156.4' = 11730 sq ft
Lot 1 about 70.2' x 152.4' = 10698.5 sq ft

Total ~22428.5 sq ft/ 43560 sq ft/acre = 0.515 acre

To the degree the corners aren't EXACTLY 90 degrees, the real area will be less, but without a plot, no way to calculate by how much.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions