square feet to linear feet

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

square feet to linear feet

Postby ted.delyra » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:05 pm

I have a deck that is roughly 1300 square feet . What formular do I use to calculate to linear feet.
ted.delyra

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 pm

I'd use a tape measure.

If it is rectangular, it could be any two numbers whose product is 1300, like 10' by 130', or 25' x 52' or even 36.0555' in each dimension.

Re: square feet to linear feet

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:54 pm

[quote="ted.delyra"]I have a deck that is roughly 1300 square feet . What formular do I use to calculate to linear feet.[/quote]

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:22 am

ted.delyra wrote:I have a deck that is roughly 1300 square feet . What formular do I use to calculate to linear feet.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:21 pm

ted.delyra wrote:I have a deck that is roughly 1300 square feet . What formular do I use to calculate to linear feet.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 pm

You are looking for linear feet of your deck; “linear feet” alone is not really a measurement of an area, it must be accompanied by a width. Perhaps you are looking for the number of linear feet of a material needed to cover the deck. If this is the case, you must know the width of the material in question. Then divide the area of the deck by the width of the material (in a common unit of measure) = linear measurement.

Examples:
1300’ / .5’ = 2600 Lin. Ft. of 6” wide material
OR
1300’ / 1’ = 1300 Lin. Ft. of 12” wide material
OR
1300’ / .25 = 5200 Lin. Ft. of 3” wide material
OR
1300’ / 4’ = 325 Lin. Ft. of 4’ wide material

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:07 am

Postby Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 1:17 am

Anonymous wrote:

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:34 pm

For any project you would take in consideration
LWH
Length, Width & Height
Most places go in that order.
so if I wanted to put casing around my door way and the casing size was
15mm x 2-1/4"-14'
I would know that it's
15mm in length
2-1/4" in width
14' in height
So to trim a door way with a rough width opening of 2" & 14' height I would need three pieces minus the corners if using them.
Same thing for a deck.....

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Linear feet by definition does not take into account the width or height. Just the length.

If your rail is 12 feet long then it is 12 linear feet.

Nothing else would be taken into account.

If you are trying to make sure you have enough rail to go from point A to point B, then you would need AB linear feet. You would not care if the rail was 2 feet wide or 6 inches thick, you just need a certain length.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:Linear feet by definition does not take into account the width or height. Just the length.

If your rail is 12 feet long then it is 12 linear feet.

Nothing else would be taken into account.

If you are trying to make sure you have enough rail to go from point A to point B, then you would need AB linear feet. You would not care if the rail was 2 feet wide or 6 inches thick, you just need a certain length.

If he is trying to cover the area of a deck (and not just buying a rail), of course the width is important. Let's take the oversimplified example of a deck which is 2 feet white by 10 feet long. He would need 10 linear feet of 2 foot wide board. He would need 20 linear feet (i.e., 2 10 foot lengths) of 1 foot wide board. He would need 40 linear feet (4 10 foot lengths) of 6" wide board, and so on. The square footage (20 feet) has not changed, but the linear footage varies depending on the width of the material.

I need to convert 1000 square feet into lineal meters?

Postby cinbonilla » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Can somebody help me.
I need to convert 1000 sf into linael meters?
Thanks
cinbonilla

Postby jp » Thu May 21, 2009 7:47 pm

I have 14200 L/ft of 2*6 boards what is s/ft
jp

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions