GPS coordinates converted

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

GPS coordinates converted

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:19 am

There are several ways to express GPS coordinates. For example, you could express a waypoint (anypoint on the surface of the Earth) in Tampa, Florida as:

~N DD.DDD, W DD.DDD (e.g., N 28.132º, W 82.543º)

OR

~N DD, MM.MMM, W DD, MM.MMM (e.g., N 28º 7.933', W 82º 32.633'

OR

~N DD, MM, SS.SS, W DD, MM, SS.SS (N 28º 7' 56", W 82º 32' 38")

Possibly a few others

NOTE: N=North
W=West
D=Degrees
M=Minutes (as you know, 1/60 degree)
S=Seconds (1/3600 of a degree)
'=Minutes
"=Seconds
Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:28 am

I failed to mention my main point: It would be nice to have that converter in the main list. With the differences in GPS tracking devices, and the crappy phone versions, it may be very useful.

P.S. Check out http://www.geocaching.com.
Frank

Latitude and Longtitude conversion

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi I use Convert-Me.com quite frequently. I recently started Geocaching. I have run into the same problem of converting to the at least three different formats of showing degrees and its decimal or degrees minutes with decimal or degrees minutes and seconds with sometimes four significant digits to the right of the second's decimal point. (Frank shows two significant digits to the right of the decimal point in his third example. His three formats (examples) are dead-on.)

I can calculate minutes and seconds to a decimal equivilent because the denominator is 60. Also Frank's use of ' for minutes and " for seconds is correct symbolization for degrees, minutes and seconds. (You probably already knew that though.)

Thank you for making and maintaining this handy site. You have saved me valuable time on many occasions. And also have provided some fun entertainment. E.g. just how many Ångströms are in a cubit.
Jeff

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions