Chinese imperial weight not the right name

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Chinese imperial weight not the right name

Postby Patrick » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:40 am

the weight units under the grouping of Chinese imperial is not really Chinese imperial. They are the modern version of the Chinese imperial. Otherwise, how can 1 Chinese imperial tael exactly equals 50 grams, and 1 imperial catty exactly 10 teal and half a kg?

In other words, the names used in Mainland China now are old units' names, but the actual weight they refer to are nothing but imperial. The actual weight they refer to essentially is metric (i.e. 1 kg = 2 catty)

Patrick
Patrick

Postby convert-me.com » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:27 pm

Patrick, you're right.

There are two reasons for that. First, the conversion is expected to be useful for those visiting China today when the old names are already adopted to metric. Second, we could not find any information of old Chinese imperial measures. If you could point us to the right direction, we may add another section, something like True Chinese Imperial measures. :D
convert-me.com
Site Admin

1 imperial tael = 37.429 grams

Postby Patrick » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:47 pm

finally came across this website on the web on the conversion ratio:
http://www.cgse.com.hk/eng/briefhistory.html
This is the official website of the Chinese Gold & Silver Exchange Society, which trades two million taels of gold daily. I guess if you are trading two million taels of gold daily, you'd better know how many grams one tael equals!
At the above page, under the headline of operation, it said "The trading unit of 99 gold tael gold is 100 taels (1 tael equaling 37.429 grams or 1.2033 ounce), and the lowest price movement is 50 cents."
BTW, the jewelry store I checked is a member of this society (Chow Sang Sang) and obviously the store keeper told me an approximation as well (37.43 instead of 37.429 quoted on this website)
Patrick

Tael

Postby convert-me.com » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:34 am

Patrick, thank you for the information. I've added tael to Chinese units.
convert-me.com
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:40 pm

Both Hong kong/Taiwan and mainland china's tael are being used. You just have to look at the context to know which one is used. I think they are trying to make it easier to use international standards in chinese measurements.

Postby lajzar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:39 pm

http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_ind. ... enDocument
http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_ind. ... enDocument

I just found those two, which give the official definitions as used by the Hong Kong government. It seems they have two different taels.
lajzar

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions