[ft] * [ft] into sq meters

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

[ft] * [ft] into sq meters

Postby MikkoAN1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Firstly let me apologise if my question/suggestion is already answered, in the wrong index etc. I just stumbled on this site 15minutes ago and did have a quick look around, but may have missed earlier postings on this.

Background:
I'm about to buy a flat in Scotland, UK, but am originally from the Continent. The estate agents' listing give the measurements of rooms in [ft] [in] * [ft] [in], whereas I'm used to square meters. Obviously I can get approximate square meters by quickly calculating the sq feet in my head and then converting that on my mobile's convertor, but this is cumbersome and I'm having trouble getting my head around the imperial measurements (12 inches to a foot). In order to get the exact square meters I would have to convert the feet into inches, multiply them and then use my mobile's convertor - surely there is a better, easier way for us lazy people to do this!

My question / suggestion for a new convertor is:
separate spaces for ft and in to be entered twice (two sides of the room) and result in sq meters.

If someone knows of an existing convertor for my needs, I would be most grateful for the link. Out of curiosity I'd also be interested in issues creating such a convertor, as I doubt anyone's willing to create one for such limited number of potential users.

Even if this comes to nothing, I'd like to thank you for your site - it's sites like these that really prove how extraordinary the Internet really is!
MikkoAN1

Your suggestion

Postby convert-me.com » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Dear MikkoAN1,

Thank you for your suggestion. The conversion you need is not very hard to implement. The only problem with it is the fact it is very specific task. It is not possible to provide a standalone calculator for each specific task. However, calculator that you need can easily be made in a speadsheet (you can use Microsoft Excel or free Google service at http://docs.google.com/).

I went ahead and created a simple spreadsheet that can be used to quickly calculate room area in square meters by providing two sides in feet and inches. You can check it at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 7UeQ&hl=en (need to register with Google first). To be able to use the document you need to either export it into Microsoft Excel and use on your own computer, or save a copy of your own and use it online with Google Docs.

Hope it helps.
convert-me.com
Site Admin

Re: Your suggestion

Postby MikkoAN1 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:30 pm

convert-me.com wrote:Dear MikkoAN1,

Thank you for your suggestion. The conversion you need is not very hard to implement. The only problem with it is the fact it is very specific task. It is not possible to provide a standalone calculator for each specific task. However, calculator that you need can easily be made in a speadsheet (you can use Microsoft Excel or free Google service at http://docs.google.com/).

I went ahead and created a simple spreadsheet that can be used to quickly calculate room area in square meters by providing two sides in feet and inches. You can check it at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 7UeQ&hl=en (need to register with Google first). To be able to use the document you need to either export it into Microsoft Excel and use on your own computer, or save a copy of your own and use it online with Google Docs.

Hope it helps.

Great!

Thanks very much, you've been a great help!

It's embarrassing how badly I know excel's capabilities even though I use it almost daily in my work! (although it's for databases when I do use it)

But would you not use *0.3048 when converting (length) feet into meters?

Thanks again for your time!
MikkoAN1

Re: Your suggestion

Postby convert-me.com » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 pm

MikkoAN1 wrote:But would you not use *0.3048 when converting (length) feet into meters?

Why not? One feet is equal to 0.3048 meters, isn't it?

I'm glad my little excel file was helpful though.
convert-me.com
Site Admin

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions