Depth

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Depth

Postby thewkb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 am

Convert feet to atmospheres and BAR and vice versa?
thewkb

Re: Depth

Postby Ken Chevy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

thewkb wrote:Convert feet to atmospheres and BAR and vice versa?

Great! A simple question. I can answer simple questions. :)

Here is the way to do it:

The first formula I made years ago to use was for Pressure at ?? Depth and is:

14.7*Depth/33+14.7=Pressure

What you want is to be able to put in a depth figure and know how many atmospheres it is, which can be done this way on an ordinary calculator:

Depth/33+1=Atmospheres = 33 feet down would be 33 / 33 which = 1 atmosphere + the 1 we walk around in = 2 atmospheres. 66 feet down / 33 = 2 + the sea level atmosphere you add of 1 would be 3 atmospheres total at 66 ft down. If they were SCUBA diving and went down 103 feet, then they were at 4.121212121212 atmospheres at 103 feet deep. Numbers are cool to work with and formulas are really cool.

I just looked at it today and thought, hummm, if we change this around and it works great for finding how many atmospheres at depth you are. Really really simple. For every 33 feet you go down, is 1 atmosphere. Just take the Depth, divide by 33 and add 1 more for the pressure at sea level. Pretty cool.

1 atmosphere is now defined to be 1.01325 bar exactly. So, at 10 atmospheres (which is 297 feet down, remember, it can't just be 10 x 33 because we are walking around in ONE atmosphere, so it would be 9 x 33 to get the correct distance you would be down) you would be off by 1.94775 pounds, instead of 147 lbs it would be 148.94775 lbs. That will give you something to work with.
Ken Chevy
competent

Postby rickyvogay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48 am

Hi..
Thanks Ken i am looking for the same information... Its really good one...
rickyvogay

Postby Ken Chevy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:44 pm

rickyvogay wrote:Hi..
Thanks Ken i am looking for the same information... Its really good one...

You were able to use the information then? If so, then, GOOD! Glad to be of help.
Ken Chevy
competent

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions