decimal to fraction coversions

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

decimal to fraction coversions

Postby mark » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:39 am

for example I've converted 3m to 9.843 ft. It'd be nice to be able to find the fractional measure for .843 so I can go to the tape measure and start building. Thanks for a fantastically useful site.
mark

Re: decimal to fraction coversions

Postby Knight » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:08 pm

mark wrote:for example I've converted 3m to 9.843 ft. It'd be nice to be able to find the fractional measure for .843 so I can go to the tape measure and start building. Thanks for a fantastically useful site.
Well, After getting the 9 feet, we've still got .843 feet left. There are 12 inches to the foot, so 0.843 x 12 gives us 10.116 inches. This leaves us with 0.116 inches.

Converting a decimal to a fraction is something we all hated in grade school, but its really pretty easy. Since anything over one is itself, we place 0.116 over one. Then we start moving the decinal point on the top and the bottom (the numerator and denominator) until the numerator (the top) is a whole number - Like this:

Code: Select all
0.116 | 1.16 | 11.6 | 116  |
------|------|------|------|
  1   |  10  |  100 | 1000 |
Since we've moved the decimal point on both the top and the bottom, we haven't really changed the number, just how it looks. But now we can reduce the fraction.
To do this, we need to find the greatest common factor.

First, we find the factors of both numbers - Like this:

116 = 1x116, 2x58, 4x29

1000 = 1x1000, 2x500, 4x250, 5x100, 8x125, 10x100 20x50, 25x40

The common factors of these two numbers are 1, 2, and 4, the greatest of them is 4, making 4 the greatest common factor.

Next, we divide both numbers by 4:

Code: Select all
 116 ÷ 4 =  29
----       ---
1000 ÷ 4 = 250

So we're looking for 29/250ths. Unfortunately your not likely to find 29/250ths on a measuring tape. Sometimes these things work out good. Sometimes we get bagged.

Fractions of an inch are generally going to be in multiples of two. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64th are generally the ones you might see. 32nds and 64ths are not that common, but you will see them in detail work.

I know that 1/8 = 0.125, which is a bit too big. The next smaller common fractional size is 7/64, which is 0.109 - a bit too small. however, these two bracket the number. So your looking for a little less than 1/8 of an inch. Hopefully with a nine foot measurement, you can deal with a few fractions of an inch of slop.

Your total measurement works out to be nine feet, ten inches, plus a bit less than 1/8th of an inch.

Again, this exersize is an excellent example of why some of us Americans will be very happy when we finally switch over to the metric system!
Knight
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions