how do you convert spanish units into metric units?

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

how do you convert spanish units into metric units?

Postby HELP ME! » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:50 am

i need help converting the following mesurements:

12 cwts
200 barrels
142 cwts
2.136 quintals, 3 lbs
112 arrobas
2 quintals
57 quintals, 12 lbs.
5 pipes
54 arrobas, 2 lbs.
1 cwt
47 quintals 3 lbs
18 quintals
2 quintals, 22lbs.
200 arrobas
390 hogsheads
508 butts

[/b]
HELP ME!

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:19 pm

Weights and measures were not well standardized between countries in pre-metric Europe. Some of these don't seem to be uniquely Spanish (or Spanish at all) so it is important to understand the variation. I just Googled the words and looked at the variation I found.

Looking at weight first:

*cwt: abbreviation for hundredweight ( C is Roman numeral for 100). In US, 100 lbs. 45.36 kg. In the UK, a hundredweight is 8 stone, or 112 lbs, 50.8 kg. It seems to be an English language unit. You'd need to know country of origin where they traded.

quintal: Used in several European countries to represent 100 local pounds of different sizes. French, Spanish, Portuguese quintals were about 49, 46, 59 kg respectively. Later "adopted" as a special name for 100 kg, roughly twice as much.

arroba: unit of weight in Spain (25 lbs, 11.3 kg) and Portugal (32 lbs, 14.4 kg). Used in modern Brazil as 15 kg cotton or 30 kg live weight for cattle (???does this estimate dressed weight when butchered???). It was also a measure of liquid volume in Spanish countries, 16.7 L of wine.

Volume
Barrel, hogshead, pipes and butts seem to be UK terms (also used in US) for wine and ale. Generally, a hogshead is two barrels. Pipe and butt are two names for the same thing, 4 barrels or 2 hogsheads. But different size barrels were used for beer, wine, ale. A wine barrel is 119.3 L. a beer barrel, 163.6 L.

In the US, a hogshead could be 54 gallon beer, 100 gallon molasses or 400-2000 lbs of tobacco.

The main modern use of barrel is petroleum, 42 US gallons exactly, about 159 L.

With date, country of origin, and commodity, you might be able to narrow the ranges, but I think you can only get rough estimates of modern amounts.

Spanish Conversion - "Do you"

Postby cliffking » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:13 am

I need to know how to say "do you" in Spanish..... thanks!!

cliff
cliffking

Thanks

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:20 am

Damn, i never thought of looking at it that way, thanks.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Exotic units

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions