Old Folding Ruler - Unit of Measure

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Old Folding Ruler - Unit of Measure

Postby fliffy42 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I have an old folding ruler that is marked in inches and metric on one side and "werschok" & "gamla" on the other. The ruler is also marked "London Import" & "Bojiig". Can anyone tell me about these units of measure or the ruler itself? Wondering how old it might be and what it was used for.
fliffy42

Re: Old Folding Ruler - Unit of Measure

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

fliffy42 wrote:I have an old folding ruler that is marked in inches and metric on one side and "werschok" & "gamla" on the other. The ruler is also marked "London Import" & "Bojiig". Can anyone tell me about these units of measure or the ruler itself? Wondering how old it might be and what it was used for.

Apparently Russian units. From Rowletts Units of Measure:
arshin
a traditional Russian unit of distance. Peter the Great standardized the arshin at exactly 28 English inches, or 71.12 centimeters, early in the 1700s. The arshin was also used in several other countries adjacent to Russia. The arshin is also used as a unit of area equal to one square arshin; this would be equal to 5.4445 square feet or 0.5058 square meter.

He does not list the werschok, but another source lists 1 Arschin = 16 Werschok
and 1 Werschok = 4.44 Centimeters

There appear to be some cities named gamla, but nothing measurement related.

Postby Janne » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Old Russian units combined with Swedish word "gamla" suggest perhaps a Finnish origin from late 1800's or early 1900's being one explanation. "Gamla" meaning "old" in pluralis could be the old Swedish inches, 2,474 cm, when "new" inch was the Russian inch adapted from the englishmen, and therefore 2,54 cm.
Finland was part of Sweden until 1809 and an autonomic part of Russian Empire till 1917. Both swedish and russian units were used till metric system was adapted (thanks, frenchmen).
Janne

Postby fliffy42 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:10 am

Just realized that I forgot to thanks you guys for the help! Greatly appreciated!!!
fliffy42

Postby peterbarnes » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 am

Hi,
According to Stanley's book on rules a wershok [vershok] is a Russian 'inch' of exactly 1.75 'London' inches [London is the same as a modern inch.
Gamla is a shortened version of Gamla Tun, an old Swedish inch of 0.97 London inches
As for Bojiig, nothing, this is not the name of a place or a unit of measurement, at least not in the book which only covers European units.
Can I suggest that it may be an old spelling for Beijing formerly Peking and as such outside of Europe.
These rules are not uncommon and were still some in stock when the Smallwood factory closed in the 1960's so you can still buy new ones would you believe.
However they are collected by people like myself. if you want to sell, contact me on 0116 2603242
As to use, international traders only I would guess.
Hope this helps
regards
Peter
peterbarnes

Postby Blicker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Im a swiss carpenter and only work with a folding ruler. All Swiss carpenters use the ruler (2M) made in Sweden they are the best. Its made out of swedish pine wood. I bought a truck load of them and sell them. Each price: $21. The more you oder the cheaper it gets. Happy working with a folding ruler.
Last edited by Blicker on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blicker

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Exotic units

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions