Mg/cubic meter to PPM

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Mg/cubic meter to PPM

Postby Tankertlm » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:38 am

Can a concentration in milligrams per cubic meter be converted to parts per million?
Tankertlm

answer?

Postby guest » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:11 am

yes, mg/cubic m can be converted into ppm...how is what i'm trying to figure out :)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Per cubic meter of what? If you know the weight per cubic meter, you already have the weight of the impurity or whatever, in milligrams. Then you can do ppm by weight.

But, like all ppm, do you need it calculated as a weight ratio, volume ratio, or mole fraction. Ppm is deprecated because it is an ambiguous term.

Re: Mg/cubic meter to PPM

Postby Keemyaager » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:56 am

Tankertlm wrote:Can a concentration in milligrams per cubic meter be converted to parts per million?

yes it can be converted. but u make sure that u r taking cubic meter of air or solvent(e.g water).
Keemyaager

ppm to mg/cubic m

Postby delta-simons » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:40 pm

It is something like
mg/m3 = ppm x (molecular weight/ 24) x (293/gas temp)

Can someone tell me if this is correct and why does it have 24 in there?
I am trying to convert ppm of trichloroethene gas into mg/m3

Does anyone out there know how to do this?
delta-simons

here it is!

Postby shameless3 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:34 am

ppm = (TLV in mg/m3)x(24.45) / (gram molecular weight of substance)
shameless3

Re: here it is!

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:00 pm

shameless3 wrote:ppm = (TLV in mg/m3)x(24.45) / (gram molecular weight of substance)

Does anybody know where the 24.45 comes from? :?

Re: here it is!

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:08 am

Guest wrote:
shameless3 wrote:ppm = (TLV in mg/m3)x(24.45) / (gram molecular weight of substance)

Does anybody know where the 24.45 comes from? :?

It is the volume (in liters) of 1 mole of ideal gas at 25 degrees C, and standard pressure. So the original ratio has been converted to ppm expressed as a mole fraction, micromoles of substance per mole of air, assuming standard pressureand 25 degree C temperature. It is not a universal truth.

Postby algyra » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:23 am

If you change from m^3 to L you have your concentration in mg/L:

0.001m^3 = 1 L

Then you know that:

1 mg/L = 1ppm

So yes you can
algyra

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:55 am

algyra wrote: Then you know that:

1 mg/L = 1ppm

That is ONLY true for a dilute solution in water, based on 1 L of water having a mass of 1 kg, and this remaining approximately true for dilution solutions in water.

It is far from true in air (off by nearly 1000:1), and not very accurate when the solvent is a liquid other than water (like alocohol)

Weight per cubic metre?

Postby No1Silverback » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi folks!
Does anyone out there know how much a cubic metre of wet English oak weighs? I know 'wet' is ambiguous but perhaps an interpolation or maybe that gets complicated.[/u]
No1Silverback

Re: Weight per cubic metre?

Postby Dirtman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:20 am

No1Silverback wrote:Hi folks!
Does anyone out there know how much a cubic metre of wet English oak weighs? I know 'wet' is ambiguous but perhaps an interpolation or maybe that gets complicated.

http://www.woodweb.com/index.html would be a better place to ask this question but you can also try the sites below, although they don't address moisture content:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weigt-wood-d_821.html
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm
http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html
Dirtman
Expert

Re: Mg/cubic meter to PPM

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Tankertlm wrote:Can a concentration in milligrams per cubic meter be converted to parts per million?

water concentration of 100 mg/m3 in air to be coverted into ppm

chemistry math

Postby lola » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:55 am

how do you convert 6.2*10^-31 into cubic picometers? PLEASE HELP
lola

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Exotic units

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions