What is a "click"?

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

What is a "click"?

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:50 am

This is a unit of distance I belive is used by the military.
Moe

Re: What is a "click"?

Postby Knight » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:47 am

Moe wrote:What is a "click"?
This is a unit of distance I belive is used by the military.

This is anecdotal, but I recall the measurement being described to me as the distance between impact points when the azmith adjuster is turned one "click" or detent.
Knight
Expert

Postby Potter » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:33 am

As far as I know a 'click' is just slang for a kilometer.
Potter

Postby goodform » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:55 am

both right, a click is a kilometer, as well as one movement of anything that requires adjustment. on the vernier sights there are so many clicks to a minute to give you so much adjustment at different distances, that's fairly standard I believe
goodform

Postby goodform » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:20 pm

suppose that was a bit vague, 4 clicks is one minute of angle I believe
goodform

Postby Knight » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:45 pm

goodform wrote:suppose that was a bit vague, 4 clicks is one minute of angle I believe
Actually that too is variable. It depends on the venier that you're using. Tank venier's, I'm told by a friend who drives them, have a different scale than morter veniers.
Knight
Expert

Klick is a Kilometer....

Postby TimmiG » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:36 am

and is generally spelled with a K. It is indeed slang. The clicks on various aiming devices have nothing to do with the term as they vary considerably in their effect. Most artillery is sighted using Mils which are 1000th part of a circle. The number of clicks per mil or mils per click is different on any given machinegun, mortar, rocket launcher or artillery piece and has been since the gunnery arts started.....too many minds each having their own ideas of standard.....its a wonder that most of them use mils in the US versions and the metric equivilant????

TG
TimmiG

Postby parabellum » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:31 am

an artillery quadrand has 6400 mils (equal to 360 degrees)
and yes a klick is one kilometers as the american military uses metric units on maps etc
parabellum

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:54 am

so it's 1/4" @ 100y = 1 klik
that is if your using a Ma14
or M16
MX2?

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Exotic units

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions