Salt/1/2 Tsp to Quart

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Salt/1/2 Tsp to Quart

Postby esorami » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:07 am

I have to measure 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda in 1 cup of water every day. Is there a way I can make a quart of this dry mix instead of measuring out tsps at a time? Then add 1 tsp of the mix to 1 cup of water. I tried using the conversion chart with no luck. :?
esorami

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:12 pm

You could measure ANY convenient amount of baking soda, twice that amount of salt, and mix thoroughly as a dry mix. But you'd have to measure 3/4 teaspoon of it, to add to 1 cup water, so I don't see it saves you anything.

(You could mix 1 tsp of mixture with 1 1/3 cup of water, does that help?)

Postby esorami » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:20 am

I don't see it saves you anything.

Thanks for the reply.
I am wondering if using 1/2 C of salt and 1/4 C b soda and mixing them together then measure out 3/4 tsp to add to water, is the same as the spoon measurments?
I know I am making this harder than it should be, but I am stumped with this one. Maybe a pharmacist could tell me.
esorami

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:05 am

The crystals are about the same size so volumes should be additive. If they are different sizes (stones and sand), a lot of the smaller fits in the empty packing space around the larger and volumes are NOT additive.

But, my measuring spoon set doesn't have a 3/4 tsp spon so what are you really saving.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Guest.....
But, my measuring spoon set doesn't have a 3/4 tsp spon so what are you really saving.

There is a 1/2 tsp measure and a 1/4 tsp measure in the spoon set, = 3/4.
If the mixture is shaken up well every time, spooning it out should keep it evenly distributed I would think.
I plan on calling a pharmacist today and get more info.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions