Mg/l to g/100 ml

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Mg/l to g/100 ml

Postby Tad4irish » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:47 pm

I know this may seem a bit unusual. I am trying to figure out blood achol contents readings and how to convert them to readings I can use in legal proceedings.

Currently, I recieve results using the formula of mg/l, but require them in g/100ml. Here is an example:

.037mg/1 liter

What would that equal in g per 100 ml? Anyone...if you could explain the work to me, I may even be able to figure it out on my own from now on :)

Thanks for your help....
Tad4irish

Re: Mg/l to g/100 ml

Postby Knight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:58 am

Tad4irish wrote:I know this may seem a bit unusual. I am trying to figure out blood achol contents readings and how to convert them to readings I can use in legal proceedings.

Currently, I recieve results using the formula of mg/l, but require them in g/100ml. Here is an example:

.037mg/1 liter

What would that equal in g per 100 ml? Anyone...if you could explain the work to me, I may even be able to figure it out on my own from now on :)

Thanks for your help....

Using the metric system this is actually quite easy. I hve no doubt yuo'll be able to do it on your own.

First things first: The metric system (The International System, or SI), has certain units that you're most likely familiar with - The gram, the meter, and the liter are the ones most people run across. It also uses a set of prefixes that modify the meaning of the main unit. milli, which is abreviated as "m", for example, means time 1x10^-3, or 1/1,000th. So then, a milliliter or ml (in the US mL is also used) is 1/1,000th of a liter, or 0.001 liters. kilo, abreviated "k", means 1,000 times. so a kilogram is 1,000 grams. The defintions for the units and the 20 prefixes you can use with them can be found at http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/. I'm not going to copy that information here, because I've already given you the prefix that you need, milli.

you currently have:

0.037 mg / 1 L and you want to convert that to g/100 ml

Well, since milli is 1/1,000th lets do the magic:

0.037 mg ÷ 1,000 mg/g = 0.000037 g. All we really did was move the decimal place three places to the right.

So, thats 0.000037 g / L. we want ml. there are 1,000 ml in a liter, so you've got:

0.000037 g / 1,000 ml. Again, three decimal places to the right.

but we don't want 1000, ml, we want 100 ml. Ten times less. So we multiply the fraction by 10 and we get:

0.0000037 g / 100 mL, (or 3.7 x 10^-6 g / 100 ml).

If you compare the fractions, you'll see that they are all equivalent.

0.0000037 g / 100 mL = 0.000037 g / 1,0000 mL= 0.037 mg / L
Knight
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions