I have exams in convertions...need serious help

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

I have exams in convertions...need serious help

Postby Ammar » Sun May 13, 2007 10:27 pm

Please help me to convert such hard methods, I'm a medical students in Slovakia and I have silly subject called biophysics and I have exam about many convertions please help me because I really fed up searching on the net like idot.
Here you are what I really need to convert:
Express in given units
1422 g = hg
71 ct = cm
3.25 hPa = kPa
0°C = K
5379 A.s = C
39 pF = nF
16 mW = J.s-1
13 GN.m = kJ
0.96 kN = mN
7 W.s + 65 cW.s = J
150 s = min
318 Bq = s-1
9.456 Hz = mHz
821 µA = aA
84 kV + 35V = MV
24.65 MΩ = TΩ

Please I'm looking for urgent help today and show me how does it work?? thanks
Ammar

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 pm

I can't help with this one. I don't know what ct is the symbol for (some local unit?) but it is nothing I can convert to centimeters.
71 ct = cm
I have grouped the others by underlying principle.

These are all examples of SI prefixes, which are merely other ways of expressing powers of ten.
Hecto- is the prefix for 100, so 1422 g = 14.22 x 100 g = 14.22 hg. You have to learn to recognize all the prefixes as their power of ten.
1422 g = hg
3.25 hPa = kPa
39 pF = nF
0.96 kN = mN
9.456 Hz = mHz
821 µA = aA
0.96 kN = mN
24.65 MΩ = TΩ
On this last one, you have to express both terms in the same unit before you can add.
84 kV + 35V = MV

The SI has a few odd conversions that are not powers of ten. Kelvin is the unit of absolute temperature and 0°C = 273.15 K. There are 60 s in 1 minute, so 150 s = 2.5 min. All you can do is memorize them, but rejoice there aren't as many odd factors as in the Imperial/Customary system still somewhat used in the UK and US.

The SI has several "derived" units which are an extension of physical principals. C is coulomb, the unit of charge, and and a charge flow 1 C/s is by definition a current of 1 A. Similarly, power is the rate of flow of energy and 1 J/s = 1 W, and energy is force times distance over which it acts. If your school has not taught you these concepts, I recommend downloading the SI Brochure from the BIPM in France (text is available in English and French.) to understand the SI system of measurement.
5379 A.s = C
16 mW = J.s-1
13 GN.m = kJ
7 W.s + 65 cW.s = J
318 Bq = s-1

Thanks too much but.......

Postby ammar » Sun May 13, 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks too much for helping me and for your advice and as you know I'm going to be a doctor or dentist I won't need all of these things in my job.

By the way I understood what you wrote about the first part but what about the second part? are the value the same no changing???
I mean the following
5379 A.s = C
16 mW = J.s-1
13 GN.m = kJ
7 W.s + 65 cW.s = J
318 Bq = s-1

waiting your reply
ammar

Sorry but can you ....

Postby Ammar » Sun May 13, 2007 11:48 pm

Sorrrrrrrrrrry but can you help me by writing the answer please please
Ammar

Re: Thanks too much but.......

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 11:52 pm

ammar wrote:Thanks too much for helping me and for your advice and as you know I'm going to be a doctor or dentist I won't need all of these things in my job.

By the way I understood what you wrote about the first part but what about the second part? are the value the same no changing???
I mean the following
5379 A.s = C
16 mW = J.s-1
13 GN.m = kJ
7 W.s + 65 cW.s = J
318 Bq = s-1

No, they all have meaning. You have to understand the relationship between units. An ampere*second is the same thing as a coulomb, a watt is the same as a joule*second, but they have also added a prefix you will need to convert. A newton*meter is the same a joule (but note the prefix). The becquerel is a unit of radiation activity, you may need to understand it as a doctor. It is the number of particle emissions per second from a radioactive mass.

If you have not been taught these concepts, I strongly recommend the SI brochure to understand the concepts rather than viewing it as "conversion" problems.

waiting your reply

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Sorry. I typed my response in the middle of what I quoted from you. I hope you can follow it as I can't edit it.

Re: Thanks too much but.......

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2007 12:00 am

ammar wrote:5379 A.s = C
16 mW = J.s-1
13 GN.m = kJ
7 W.s + 65 cW.s = J
318 Bq = s-1

1 A.s = 1 C, so answer is 5379 C

1 W = 1 J/s, but note the milli- prefix, so
16 mW = 16 mJ.s-1 = 0.016 J.s-1. I'll leave the others as practice for you. In the addition, remember both terms must have the same units before you can add.

Thanks and ..........

Postby Ammar » Mon May 14, 2007 12:22 am

Thanks my dear and really really you helped me a lot and you made me feel happy.

I really respect and i appreciate your knowledge and thanks isn't enough.

Take care and I hope I'm going to pass my exam tomorrow.....

My Regards.
Ammar

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions