help

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

help

Postby guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:07 pm

I need to convert 1000 kg/m^3 to LBM/Ft^3. My engineering notes make no sense

Re: help

Postby Knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm

guest wrote:I need to convert 1000 kg/m^3 to LBM/Ft^3. My engineering notes make no sense

Again, the answer to this is the old conversion standby, Unit Analysis.

You have in the problem you've given, you need to convert 1000 kg to pounds, and cubic meters to cubic feet.

So we need to know how many pounds there are in a kilogram, and how many cubic feet there are in a cubic meter.

You can look both of these up using the conversion tables here, and find that there are 2.205 lbs per kg, and there are 35.31 cubic feet per cubic meter.

To talk though this, we can multiply 1000 kg/m³ by 2.205 lbm/kg, giving us 2,205 lbm/m³. Next, convert m³ to ft³ by multiplying the numerator (1 kg) by 35.31, giving us 2,205 lbm/35.31 ft³. Now divide this out: 2205 lbm/35.31 ft³ = 62.45 lbm/ft³.

I've found that the best way to do the exersize that I went through above is to use something called the "railroad tracks." Start by putting the initial value you have on paper:
Code: Select all
1000 kg |
--------
     m³ |

Now, in this problem, we need to convert kg to lbm. As you recall, thats 2.205 lbm/kg. So put that down.
1000 kg | 2.205 lbm |
--------------------
     m³ |        kg |

Now, you'll notice that you've got kg in the top, and kg on the bottom... That means you can cancel them out, leaving you with lbm/m³! But lets not do that just yet. Lets get convert m³ to ft³ as well. We'll want to have m³ in the numerator, and ft³ in the denominator in order for it to cancel, so:
1000 kg | 2.205 lbm |     1 m³  |
--------------------------------
     m³ |        kg | 35.31 ft³ |

Now, lets do the cancelling: kg's cancel out, and m³'s cancel out, leaving us with:
1000    | 2.205 lbm |     1     |
--------------------------------
        |           | 35.31 ft³ |

Now, simplify the equation: 1000 · 2.205 lbm · 1 / 35.31 ft³ = 62.45 lbm/ft³.

The wonderful thing about this type of unit analysis is that you can convert to any equivilant units. For example, there's no need to remember that there are 3.15Ee7 seconds per year; you can use units you remember to derive it: Years to days, days to hours, hours to minutes, minutes to seconds, cancel the intermediate units, and you're left with the correct units!
1 year | 365 days | 24 hours | 60 minutes | 60 seconds
------------------------------------------------------
       |     year |      day |      hours |     minute

Everything but seconds cancels out, and simplify to 31,536,000 seconds!

I hope this help.
Knight
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions