lumens to candlelight?

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

lumens to candlelight?

Postby philip » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:46 am

I saw this flashlight and have no clue how it may compare to a 1million Candlelight spotlight.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00
Not that I'm about to buy a $400 flashlight but I was just pondering how bright it was. They claim up to 500 lumens, my questions, can lumens be compared to candlelight, as I have no clue to how each one is measured?
Thanks
Philip
philip

Re: lumens to candlelight?

Postby Knight » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:16 am

philip wrote:I saw this flashlight and have no clue how it may compare to a 1million Candlelight spotlight.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00
Not that I'm about to buy a $400 flashlight but I was just pondering how bright it was. They claim up to 500 lumens, my questions, can lumens be compared to candlelight, as I have no clue to how each one is measured?
Thanks
Philip

Although there's a LOT more to it, Lumens measure how much light gets to what you want to see, candlepower measure how much light somethng gives off, regardless of whether you use it or not.

500 lumens is a huge amount of light. Enough to trigger the aversion reflex (blink, flinch, turn away, etc.) so don't try shining this in someone's eyes!
Knight
Expert

Postby ddk » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:45 pm

ddk

Postby SARGE » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:03 am

I have been wondering the same question to, I just bought a handheld flashlight that is 4500 lumens and was wondering how that would compare to a million candle light power spotlight.
SARGE

Postby freda88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Here's the short (but somewhat deceptive) answer: 1 candlepower = 12.57 lumens. But in order to interpret that statement, you need to understand that candlepower and lumens do not actually measure the same thing.

Candlepower is most useful as a measure of illumination in a particular direction, while lumens are most useful as a measure of total illumination. The conversion above is saying that a light source shining with 1 candlepower in all directions would produce 12.57 lumens.
Last edited by freda88 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
freda88

Postby LeonardL » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 pm

SARGE wrote:I have been wondering the same question to, I just bought a handheld flashlight that is 4500 lumens and was wondering how that would compare to a million candle light power spotlight.

Ops :o
Have you bought that ? I just got a handled flashlight from my mom as a gift but I'm not satisfied using it.
My flashlight is also 4500 lumes but it shouldn't compare with any candle light.
LeonardL

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions