How big is a "legal" quarter section

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

How big is a "legal" quarter section

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:23 am

I am trying to figure out how much fencing I need. I have a triangular shaped acreage of about 50 acres. Here is the legal discription.

All that portion of the north half of the north east quarter which lies south west of the south westerly limit of the road...

except thereout:

a) the southerly 10 rods throughout of said north half of said quarter.

containing 20.136 hectares (49.83 acres) more or less.

There is a road at the north end of my property, and about half way across the top the road angles down to the south easterly tip. The peice of property on the north eastern side of the raod in that quarter section is about 17 acres. Here is the legal discription of that.

All that portion of the north east quarter which lies north east of the north easterly limit and the extra road limit of the roadway as shown on .... conatining 7.10 hectares ( 17.54 acres) more or less.

So if I could figure out the southern length, and the western length, I could figure out the half way mark on the north, and the length of the line from north to south on the east side.

I live in Canada. Thanks for your time!

Postby Dirtman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 am

I'm reasonably sure survey standards are different between Canada and the USA. Even if standards were the same, you don't have enough information in your post to calculate the perimeter.

If you have a boundary survey, I'm surprised the information you need isn't on the survey plat.

I suggest you call the surveyor of record and ask for the bearings and distances of your property lines. From that information, you can simply add the distances to obtain the perimeter.

George
Dirtman
Expert

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:14 pm

I can only give a US answer; maybe it applies.

A quarter section is 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile (2640 ft), and 160 acres. Your land seems to lie within a half of that quarter section, or 80 acres.

You really need to measure the length of the three sides, or get better surveying data. But you could fence the entire half quarter section with 2640 + 2640 + 1320 +1320 feet of fence (7920'). From what you gave us, I can't tell how much less it would be.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Continuing my attempt at the answer, the northern and southern boundaries of a quarter section would be 2640' each. As it is only 1/2 a quarter-section, the east and west boundaries would be 1320 ft, but there is that 10 rod takeout (165 feet.)

If we ignore the road for a moment, I think the two pieces together are a rectangle 2640' wide on northern and southern borders, and 1155' on east and west, and a road cuts that into a trapezoid and a triangle. Have I got that about right? Which portion are you fencing?

If I ignore the width of the road, those two portions are about 52.5 acres and 17.5 acres. Since the road has finite width, both would be a little smaller, so it kind of agrees with your figures.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions