how to convert rain to gallon collected

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

how to convert rain to gallon collected

Postby chrisusvi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 am

I have a cistern that is connected to our roof.
If an 1" of rain fall on my roof and the roof size is 52 feet by 52 feet, how many gallons of water does that convert to? :?
If we get a good shower that passes by, I can get an idea of how much water was collected.

Thanks.

chrisusvi
chrisusvi

Re: how to convert rain to gallon collected

Postby Dirtman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:51 pm

chrisusvi wrote:I have a cistern that is connected to our roof.
If an 1" of rain fall on my roof and the roof size is 52 feet by 52 feet, how many gallons of water does that convert to? :?
If we get a good shower that passes by, I can get an idea of how much water was collected.

Chrisusvi:

If the measurements for your roof are horizontal (not pitched) and ALL of the water from the roof is collected, calculate the ft3 (cubic feet) of roof area and inches of rain and multiply by 7.48052 gal/ft3

(1"/12") x 52 ft x 52 ft = 0.08333 ft x 52 ft x 52 ft = 225.32432 ft3

225.32432 ft3 x 7.48052 gal/ft3 = 1,685.5 gallons
Dirtman
Expert

Re: how to convert rain to gallon collected

Postby chrisusvi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I forgot about the roof pitch. The roof's pitch is about 5 10 or 5 12 pitch.
chrisusvi

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions