Convert Water lb/sec to gal/hr

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Convert Water lb/sec to gal/hr

Postby brott » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:33 pm

Once again I am faced with converting from lb/sec to gal/hr.
The product is water that is injected in with #2 Diesel Fuel for a combustion turbine. The water is measured in lb/sec and I report in Gallons. I am looking to convert water lb/sec to water gal/hr.
Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Jody
brott

Postby shill » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:12 am

AFAIK, 1 lb/s of water = 432 gal/h of water.
shill
Expert

Re: Convert Water lb/sec to gal/hr

Postby Knight » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:22 am

brott wrote:Once again I am faced with converting from lb/sec to gal/hr.
The product is water that is injected in with #2 Diesel Fuel for a combustion turbine. The water is measured in lb/sec and I report in Gallons. I am looking to convert water lb/sec to water gal/hr.
Jody,

With a conversion problem such as you have here, unit analysis is the best way to do your conversion.

You have pounds per second. In order to get to gallons per hour you need to make two different conversion; pounds of water to gallons, and seconds to hours.

Lay out your problem by making a set of "Railroad tracks," and place the initial quantity in the first block:
Code: Select all
lbs |
----|
sec |

We know that water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon. That means that 0.12 gallons weighs one pound.
 lb  | 0.12 gal |
-----|----------|
 sec |       lb |
There are sixty seconds per minute, lets add that:
 lb  | 0.12 gal | 60 sec |
-----|----------|--------|
 sec |       lb |    min |
There are 60 minutes per hour, so:
 lb  | 0.12 gal | 60 sec | 60 min |
-----|----------|--------|--------|
 sec |       lb |    min |     hr |
Now we're converting pounds to gallons, seconds to minutes, and minutes to seconds. What we do next is cancel like terms on the top and bottom of the railroad tracks:

lb  | 0.12 gal | 60 sec | 60 min |
-----|------------|----------|----------|
 sec |          lb |      min |        hr |

lbs cancels out, seconds cancel out, and minutes cancel out, leaving use with gallons per hour. Now multiply the terms out: 0.12 x 60 x 60 = 432.

This means that 1 lb/sec is equal to 432 gal/hr.

You can use this technique to convert any values that you have a conversion for, no matter how complex. Simply place a conversion factor onto the railroad tracks for each value you have, cancel the like terms, and multiply and divide the remaining values.
Knight
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions