Converting units of a grouped expression...

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Converting units of a grouped expression...

Postby Jack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey.

Hope someone can clear something up for me. I'm working with some dissolved nutrients - Having measures for Nitrate (NO3, µg/l), Nitrite (NO2, µg/l) and Ammonium (NH4, µg/l). Grouping these in a pool called Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen (DIN) using µg/l seems to be a straight forward addition. Example:
NO2=0,56 µg/l NO3=12,89µg/l NH4=6,55µg/l => DIN = 20 µg/l

Converting each component into µM (µmoles/l) using the molar weights of each substance (NO2 = 46 µg/µmole, NO3 = 62µg/µmole and NH4 = 18µg/µmole) is all fine - but there is a big difference in taking the DIN µg/l and the collected µg/µmole (126 µg/µmole) and computing a DIN in µM versus just adding up the individual components... :?: How is this different?

Example:
NO2: 0,56 µg/l = 0,012 µM
NO3: 12,89 µg/l = 0,21 µM ------> added up this gives 0,582 µM DIN
NH4: 6,55 µg/l = 0,36 µM

DIN: 20 µg/l = 0,159 µM (using the collected 126 µg/µmole of all components)... So the results are 0,582 µM DIN vs. 0,159 µM :?: :?:

What is the correct if any and what is the reason this logic does not work. Is there some sort of scientific logic that rules out one of the above methods?
All answers are appreciated

/Jack
Jack

Re: Converting units of a grouped expression...

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:38 pm

*bump

Don't anyone have an answer to this?
Jack

Re: Converting units of a grouped expression...

Postby Dirtman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:28 am

Jack wrote:Don't anyone have an answer to this?

Jack:

I'm not a chemist and have forgotten much of my high school chemistry as it has nothing to do with my field, so I can't answer your question. However, if you post your question to the Convert and Calculate section of:http://forum.onlineconversion.com, Mrs. X or someone else there can answer your question.
Dirtman
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions