Help Please!

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Help Please!

Postby Sara » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 am

These may be simple, but I dont understand them Please help.

1. Express 120 m/s in feet per second. (1.m =3.28 ft)

2. If each serving of coffee is 175ml, how many liters of coffee are needed to serve 80 people?

3. How much fencing is required to enclose a play yard 10 m 80cm long and 4m 30 cm wide?

Thank you!
Sara

Re: Help Please!

Postby Knight » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:12 am

Sara wrote:These may be simple, but I dont understand them. Please help.

1. Express 120 m/s in feet per second. (1.m =3.28 ft)

This is a simple conversion, as you've said. You know that you have 120 meters per second, you want feet per second. All you need to do is ignore the second, as they are the same on both sides, and convert meters to feet. Since you know that 1 meter is 3.28 feet and you have 120 meters, then all you need to do is multiply 120 meters by 3.28 feet per meter to get an answer in meters.

Code: Select all
     m   3.28 ft/m          ft
120 --- x          =  393.6 ---
    sec                     sec

Sara wrote:2. If each serving of coffee is 175ml, how many liters of coffee are needed to serve 80 people?

This one isn't even a conversion. Don't let the fact that it's in metric units scare you. Answer this: If each serving of coffee is one cup, and you need to serve 80 people, then how many cups of coffee do you need? The answer is, of course, 80. You multiplied one cup per serving by 80 servings, to get 80 cups. Now figure that the Coffee cup really holds six ounces... How much coffee? The same math: 6 ounce per serving times 80 servings is 480 ounces. Guess what? six ounces is about 175 ml. so:
Code: Select all
       ml
175 ------- * 80 serving = 14,000 ml
    serving

14,000 ml, is the same as 14 liters (one liter is 1,000 ml).

Sara wrote:3. How much fencing is required to enclose a play yard 10 m 80cm long and 4m 30 cm wide?

Again, don't get worried because the question talks about metric units. All you have to remember is how to manipulate the units. The prefix centi means 1/100th, so 100 cm is equal to 1 meter. Using this, you can figure out that 80 centimeters is 80/100ths of a meter, or 0.8 meters. So 10 m, 80 cm is 10.8 meters. Likewise 4 m, 30 cm is 4.3 meters. This means you want to find the perimeter of an area that is 10.8 meters long and 4.3 meters wide.

The formula for the perimeter of a rectangle is P=2L+2W So:

P = 2(10.8 m) + 2(4.3 m)

P = 21.6 m + 8.6 m

P = 30.2 meters

I hope this helps!
Knight
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions