kgf into Nm

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

kgf into Nm

Postby dickavis » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:38 pm

I've been told to tighten a set of bolt down to a certain pressure (measured in kgf which I know can be converted into N/mm squared). Of course my torque wrench is marked in Nm. I appreciate that one is a measurement of pressure and the other is torque and therefore the units are incompatable, but I assume that the calculation can be done. Do I need to take into consideration the size of bolt, whether or not the bolt has been greased, the length of my wrench, or any other details? Answers in words of one syllable please.
dickavis

Postby shill » Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 am

1 kgf is equal to 9.80665 N. Torque arising from a perpendicular force, in Nm, is calculated by multiplying the force, in N, by the distance of the force from the centre (roughly equivalent to the length of the wrench, if you are applying force near the tail end), in m.
shill
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions