I'M NOT SURE THIS CAN BE DONE?!?!

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

I'M NOT SURE THIS CAN BE DONE?!?!

Postby moonshine814 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:10 am

I first want to say thank you to whoever, if anyone, decides to help me figure this out! Also, just so you know, this isn't a homework assignment that I'm looking for an easy way out of or anything like this, and I really am clueless when it comes to conversions so the more simple an explaination is the better! Here is my problem;

this is pertaining to a urine test-

limit of detection of a screening test is: 300 micro grams/L
limit of detection of a confirmation test is: 50 micro grams/L

I'm wondering how many micro grams are in a TSP (or TBSP) of cough syrup? Or is there another way to figure this out? How many hundreths, tenths etc/whatever of a TSP/TBSP would one have to take for it to be detected by both the tests?
Thanks and remember I'm pretty much clueless so not too technical!
moonshine814

Drug testing

Postby Jens » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:22 am

WOW!

You are correct in that it cannot be readily answered because there are too many factors that vary.

1. What is the material you are trying to detect (a protein? a mineral? a sugar? Alcohol?) - each are metabolized and passed at different rates through the body

2. Your ethnicity may in some instances affect the metabolism of specific items. - For example: American Indians and Native Japanese do not metabolize alcohol as fast as Northern Europeans.

3. The concentration of the substance in the cough medicine

4. How long after you took the material are you being tested?

5. In some cases, if you drink vast amounts of water daily (say 8+ liters) then the concentration of material in your urine may decrease more rapidly than if you dring 1 to 2 liters of water per day. Other substances such as diuretics (such as chamomile tea) can also affect the rate at wich you retain or void the substance.

In short, it depends!

Jens
Jens

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions