pM from uM

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

pM from uM

Postby JIG » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:02 am

I swear I am not defecient, but I have made it halway through grad school without knowing how to convert uM solutions into pM solutions. I have a 100uM stock soln, and need a 50pM soln. I have tried 2-3 math conversions which had my confidence at the time only for sore dissapointment after a 3 hour thermal-cycler run. What if I add my pM soln. to a reaction, does that make it even more dilute, like nM? Whimper.
JIG

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:07 am

If you have an initial concentration and volume C1 and V1, and you dilute it with pure water (or whatever the solvent is) to a new total volume V2, the new concentration is C2 where

C1 * V1 = C2 * V2
(the added solvent is approximately (V2 - V1)

so V2 = C1 * V1/C2 = 100 uM * V1/ 50 pM
= 2x10^6 * V1

added solvent = V2 - V1 = 1,999,999 * V1
(very dilute!!!)

micro = 10^(-6), nano = 10^(-9), pico = 10^(-12), so a nM solution is strong than a pM solution.

Postby JIG » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 am

Yeah, that was one of the formulas I thought I had tried. So let's say I am working in uL. According to that formula (I think), then 2 uL of my 100uM soln. into 98 uL water? Wouldn't that give me a 2 pMol soln.? 20? 200? I tried 1 uL into 999 uL yesterday, that did not work.
JIG

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:55 am

If you really want 50 pM solution, you have to dilute it to 2 million times greater volume. So 2 uL needs to be diluted to 4 L.

But I can't believe you want that dilute a solution; you may want to doublecheck the required concentration

Postby JIG » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey man, that's just what I am reading off the protocol. But I think you are right in essence. I am going to work in the uM range and just take it down to 5 or so and give that a shot. Thanks for confirming how insanely dilute that would be. Off to take initiative on the concentrated molecular bio front.
JIG

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions