How to convert hours, min, sec to degrees?

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

How to convert hours, min, sec to degrees?

Postby wwdotememory » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a calculator that converts the old Right Ascention values of hours, minutes and seconds to the modern RA values in degrees.

Can anyone help?

For instance, what is 11h20m in degrees?

Thanks,

Harold
wwdotememory

Re: How to convert hours, min, sec to degrees?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:31 am

wwdotememory wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a calculator that converts the old Right Ascention values of hours, minutes and seconds to the modern RA values in degrees.

Can anyone help?

For instance, what is 11h20m in degrees?

Thanks,

Harold

It is based on the sun moving 15°/hour.

Convert to decimal time (11:20:00 becomes 11.3333)
Multiply by 15 for decimal degrees.
If you need degrees, minutes, seconds, use that function on a scientific calculator.

For reverse, degrees to RA, make sure you are working with decimal degrees, divide by 15, convert decimal hours to HMS if required.

Postby EdIsenberg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:24 pm

The hard part is getting from degrees/minutes/seconds to digital degrees, and vice versa. I often have the GPS (previously known as latitude & longitude <g>) location in degrees minutes & seconds but when entering it somewhere they want degrees down to 4 decimal places or more. It's a pain to have to open up a spreadsheet for this silly task, yet calculating the decimal degrees for 293° 37' 49" is not something I can do in my head!
EdIsenberg

Postby chloewright » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Any links or tutorials for this?
chloewright

Postby ramonS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 am

I need either ArcObjects code, VBA code, or VB.net code that will convert from decimal degrees 1983 UTM to State Plane. Any suggestions??? pills for impotence
ramonS

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions