convert bicarbonate

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

convert bicarbonate

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:14 am

Could anybody please explain how to convert milli moles of bicarbonate into mg/l?

Any insight would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

N 8)
Nick

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:01 am

I can't create the minus sign superscript in text, but bicarbonate is the negative ion HCO3.

For any such calculation, the key is knowing the weight of a "mole" which is Avagadro's number of atoms, molecules, or ions. You have to add up the atomic weights of the constitutants and that number is a mass in grams of a mole.

Using rounded integer weights (you should use exact values from periodic table) it is about 1 + 12 + 3x16 = 61 atomic mass units, so about 61 g = 1 mole of HCO3. (61 ug = 1 umole) using u = 10^(-6) as I'm too lazy to fire up the character set to get a micro.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:04 am

Anonymous wrote:I can't create the minus sign superscript in text, but bicarbonate is the negative ion HCO3.

For any such calculation, the key is knowing the weight of a "mole" which is Avagadro's number of atoms, molecules, or ions. You have to add up the atomic weights of the constitutants and that number is a mass in grams of a mole.

Using rounded integer weights (you should use exact values from periodic table) it is about 1 + 12 + 3x16 = 61 atomic mass units, so about 61 g = 1 mole of HCO3. (61 ug = 1 umole) using u = 10^(-6) as I'm too lazy to fire up the character set to get a micro.

Oops. I couldn't see your units. I thought you had ug. Well,
61 mg (approx) = 1 mmole, too.

Return to How to convert?