Newtons/M for handrail

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements

Moderator: convert-me.com

Newtons/M for handrail

Postby scottc » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi,

We have developed a handrail system and are looking to do some tests to make sure that it meets certain standards.

The standards state that the handrail should be able to deal with a push load of up to '740 N/m' I assume this is 740 newtons per square metre?

If so this seems quite low for a handrail (only 74 kg) so i wondered if anybody knows how the testing would be achieved for this type of thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

Scott c
scottc

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:32 am

The units would make sense as a distributed load for analysis of a beam and its supports. I assume it means the load is 740 N for each meter of length of the handrail, uniformly distributed over the length. This might not be much stress for a commercial handrail, but I think it would stress the bannister on my staircase. ( 4 m x 740 n/m = 2960 N, about 665 pounds).

A crude test method would just load up a bunch of sandbags to the total required weight and uniformy distribute them down the rail, see if it breaks or rips off the wall.

Return to Exotic units