56oz to 500 gallons of jelly

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

56oz to 500 gallons of jelly

Postby nestle » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:15 am

I am going commercial with a jelly recipe. I am trying to convert a 7 jar recipe to 500 gallons. Am I to use different types of scales to measure sugar verses the liquids?
Have a Great Day!
nestle

Re: 56oz to 500 gallons of jelly

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

nestle wrote:I am going commercial with a jelly recipe. I am trying to convert a 7 jar recipe to 500 gallons. Am I to use different types of scales to measure sugar verses the liquids?

I assume your question might be about ounces (oz). There are (at least) two kinds, ounces of weight and fluid ounces.

Ounces of weight are a subdivision of the pound; there are 16 av. oz. per pound. You have to weigh these on a scale.

Fluid ounces are a subdivision of the gallon. There are 128 fl oz per US gallon. They are also marked on measuring cups ( 8 fl oz per cup). They are a volumetric measurement, you don't weigh them.

Other liquids have different densities, but a gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs, so 128 fl oz of water weighs 133.4 av. oz., close to 1:1, but not quite.

Return to How to convert?