volume & length question

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

volume & length question

Postby medic1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:06 pm

Here is the problem, a lead cube (density = 11.3g/cm^3) is dropped into a granulated cylinder of water. the bottom of the meniscus reads 23.35cm^3. the cube weighs 97.02g.
what was the volume of water before the cube was added. my answer is 97.02/11.3g/cm^3 = 8.59cm^3 subtract that from 21.35 = 12.76cm^3. Now I need to know what is the length of one side of the cube in cm? so now I need to convert 8.59cm^3 to cm. How do I do that? or am I on the wrong track? I thought that for example 1cm^3 is = to 1cm on each side. The answers I have to choose from are 2.05cm, 2.24cm, 2.77cm, 6.34cm, or 10.05cm. any ideas?
medic1

Postby Mike Wright » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:02 pm

If the volume of the cube is 8.59cm^3, the length of each side will be the cube root of 8.59 or 2.05 to 2 decimal places. That's why it's called the cube root!
Mike Wright

Postby medic1 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks, I figured that out a while ago, at the time it didn't seem right.
medic1

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions