Salt/1/2 Tsp to Quart

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

Salt/1/2 Tsp to Quart

Postby esorami » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:07 am

I have to measure 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda in 1 cup of water every day. Is there a way I can make a quart of this dry mix instead of measuring out tsps at a time? Then add 1 tsp of the mix to 1 cup of water. I tried using the conversion chart with no luck. :?
esorami

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:12 pm

You could measure ANY convenient amount of baking soda, twice that amount of salt, and mix thoroughly as a dry mix. But you'd have to measure 3/4 teaspoon of it, to add to 1 cup water, so I don't see it saves you anything.

(You could mix 1 tsp of mixture with 1 1/3 cup of water, does that help?)

Postby esorami » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:20 am

I don't see it saves you anything.

Thanks for the reply.
I am wondering if using 1/2 C of salt and 1/4 C b soda and mixing them together then measure out 3/4 tsp to add to water, is the same as the spoon measurments?
I know I am making this harder than it should be, but I am stumped with this one. Maybe a pharmacist could tell me.
esorami

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:05 am

The crystals are about the same size so volumes should be additive. If they are different sizes (stones and sand), a lot of the smaller fits in the empty packing space around the larger and volumes are NOT additive.

But, my measuring spoon set doesn't have a 3/4 tsp spon so what are you really saving.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Guest.....
But, my measuring spoon set doesn't have a 3/4 tsp spon so what are you really saving.

There is a 1/2 tsp measure and a 1/4 tsp measure in the spoon set, = 3/4.
If the mixture is shaken up well every time, spooning it out should keep it evenly distributed I would think.
I plan on calling a pharmacist today and get more info.

Return to How to convert?