CUBIC YARD

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

CUBIC YARD

Postby JBEAM » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:24 am

WE ARE DOING SOME LANSCAPING AND NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH STONE WE NEED. THE AREA WE ARE FILLING IS 60 SQ. FT. AND WILL BE ABOUT 6 TO 8 INCHES DEEP. HOW MANY CU. YD IS THIS?? I KNOW ITS PROBABLY AN EASY ANSWER, BUT WE'VE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR AWHILE AND MATH WASN'T A STRONG SUBJECT....LOL..THANKS.
JBEAM

Re: CUBIC YARD

Postby Knight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:55 am

JBEAM wrote:WE ARE DOING SOME LANSCAPING AND NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH STONE WE NEED. THE AREA WE ARE FILLING IS 60 SQ. FT. AND WILL BE ABOUT 6 TO 8 INCHES DEEP. HOW MANY CU. YD IS THIS?? I KNOW ITS PROBABLY AN EASY ANSWER, BUT WE'VE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR AWHILE AND MATH WASN'T A STRONG SUBJECT....LOL..THANKS.

The first thing you'll need to do is get everything into the right units.

You have 60 ft² by 6 or 8 inches. SIx inches is 0.5 feet, 8 inches is 0.667 feet.

So, 60 ft² x 0.5 ft = 30 ftsup3;, and 60 ft² x 0.667 Ft = 40 ft³.

You need this in Cubic yards. Since one yard is three feet, there would be 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft or 27 ft³ per cubic yard.

So we diviide 30 ft³ by 27 ft³/yd³ and get 1.11 yd³ for six inches deep, and 40 divided by 27 ft³/yd³ and get 1.48 yd³ for eight inches deep.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Return to How to convert?