Thermal energy

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.

Moderator: convert-me.com

Thermal energy

Postby Midnight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:44 am

I'm trying to rationalise the energy input needed for a radiant floor system. The specs for the system rate it as heating at a rate of 100 watts per square metre.
Trying to convert that into BTU's to determine the furnace is turning my head to Swiss cheese.

Total area of the floor is 320 square metres.
Midnight

Re: Thermal energy

Postby Knight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:00 am

Midnight wrote:I'm trying to rationalise the energy input needed for a radiant floor system. The specs for the system rate it as heating at a rate of 100 watts per square metre.
Trying to convert that into BTU's to determine the furnace is turning my head to Swiss cheese.

Total area of the floor is 320 square metres.

I think You're going about ths backwards...

The first think you'll need to calculate is the volume of the room, and use an energy guide rating to determine how many btu it will take to heat that volume. Try this one:

http://hearth.com/calc/btucalc.html

You can then convert btu's to Joules (1 joule = 1 watt/sec to get your requirements.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Postby Midnight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:26 am

well.... I donno how it does it, but that link makes things a whole lot easier. Thanks Knight... perfect..!!!!
Midnight

Postby Knight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:38 am

Midnight wrote:well.... I donno how it does it, but that link makes things a whole lot easier. Thanks Knight... perfect..!!!!

Somethimes just looking at something from a different direction is all it takes. Glad I could help.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Return to Calculating things