liquid measurement conversion

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.

Moderator: convert-me.com

liquid measurement conversion

Postby megagliano » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:11 pm

For a formula where 1 fluid oz (1/8 cup) is to be added to 150 gallons (and 50 ml added to 250 gallons), how much of the formula is to be added to 1 gallon?
megagliano
 

Re: liquid measurement conversion

Postby Knight » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:30 pm

megagliano wrote:For a formula where 1 fluid oz (1/8 cup) is to be added to 150 gallons (and 50 ml added to 250 gallons), how much of the formula is to be added to 1 gallon?

Using 50 ml / 250 gallons makes it easy.

Code: Select all
 50    5   1   0.2
--- = -- = - = ---
250   25   5    1


You need to add 0.2 ml per gallon.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
User avatar
Knight
Expert
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

cups to dl

Postby guest » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:45 pm

what is the dl equvilant to 1 1/3 cups?
guest
 

Re: cups to dl

Postby Knight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:02 am

guest wrote:what is the dl equvilant to 1 1/3 cups?

1.33 cups is 0.3147 l, therefore 0.03147 dl.

Go to http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
User avatar
Knight
Expert
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

correct symbol for litres

Postby moe » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:36 pm

the correct character symbol for litres in the International System of Units (SI), the current metric system if you like, is an uppercase L

this was set in SI over thirty years ago because of the confusion of:

l l

being one litres or eleven. this was especially true in the health profession

note that SI is case sensitive ... meaning that all the prefixes and units have specific character symbols

moe
moe
 

Re: correct symbol for litres

Postby Knight » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:50 pm

moe wrote:the correct character symbol for litres in the International System of Units (SI), the current metric system if you like, is an uppercase L

this was set in SI over thirty years ago because of the confusion of:

l l

being one litres or eleven. this was especially true in the health profession

note that SI is case sensitive ... meaning that all the prefixes and units have specific character symbols

moe

Actually Moe, Your incorrect on serveral points here.

Section 6.1.2 "Capitalization" of The International System of Units (SI), Ed. by B. N. Taylor, Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. Spec. Publ. 330, 1991 Edition States:

Unit symbols are printed in lower-case letters except that:
(a)
the symbol or the first letter of the symbol is an upper-case letter when the name of the unit is derived from the name of a person; and

(b)
the recommended symbol for the liter in the United States is L [see Table 6, footnote (b).


table six Footnote (b) States:

(b) The alternative symbol for the liter, L, was adopted by the CGPM in order to avoid the risk of confusion between the letter l and the number 1 (see Ref. [2] or [3]). Thus, although both l and L are internationally accepted symbols for the liter, to avoid this risk the symbol to be used in the United States is L (see Refs. [1] and [8]). The script letter §¤ , is not an approved symbol for the liter.

So, both "l" and "L" are internationally accepted symbols for the liter.

Moe, you seem to be perusing the web site looking for errors to point out, rather than for questions to answer. Might I suggest that answering questions is a far better way to demonstrate you knowledge? The use of "L" or "l", "s" or "sec" is not this point of this web site. The site is here to help people understand how to convert things. not to create a flame war about upper or lower case.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
User avatar
Knight
Expert
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

conversion problems

Postby allegrettii » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:16 am

5 AND 1/4 qt=-------------how many pints? 12 pt=---------------how many gallons? 8tbsp=--------how many fluid oz?
allegrettii
 

Re: conversion problems

Postby Knight » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:09 pm

allegrettii wrote:5 AND 1/4 qt=-------------how many pints? 12 pt=---------------how many gallons? 8tbsp=--------how many fluid oz?

A quart is two pints, there are four quarts to a gallon. There are two tablespoons to a US fluid ounce (there are 1.922 tablespoons to a British fluid ounce.)

All of these conversions are available at http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume. The mathmatical answers are left as an exersize to the student.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
User avatar
Knight
Expert
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

how may cups are in 22 gallons

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:25 am

Knight wrote:
megagliano wrote:For a formula where 1 fluid oz (1/8 cup) is to be added to 150 gallons (and 50 ml added to 250 gallons), how much of the formula is to be added to 1 gallon?

Using 50 ml / 250 gallons makes it easy.

Code: Select all
 50    5   1   0.2
--- = -- = - = ---
250   25   5    1


You need to add 0.2 ml per gallon.
Guest
 

Re: dlto oz

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:36 pm

Knight wrote:
guest wrote:what is the dl equvilant to 1 1/3 cups?

1.33 cups is 0.3147 l, therefore 0.03147 dl.

Go to http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume
Guest
 

Re: cups to dl

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Knight wrote:
guest wrote:what is the dl equvilant to 1 1/3 cups?

1.33 cups is 0.3147 l, therefore 0.03147 dl.

Go to http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume


You slipped a digit there, as dL is deciliter. Should be 3.147 dL. (Although dL is rarely used. In Europe 31.47 cL may be used, in the US, 314.7 mL)

Had it been dekaliters, it would have been 0.3147 daL
Guest
 

Re: conversion problems

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 am

allegrettii wrote:5 AND 1/4 qt=-------------how many pints? 12 pt=---------------how many gallons? 8tbsp=--------how many fluid oz?
Guest
 

Re: conversion problems

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:25 am

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="allegrettii"]5 AND 1/4 qt=-------------how many pints? 12 pt=
Guest
 

Re: liquid measurement conversion

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:33 am

1 gallon= how many oz
Guest
 

Re: liquid measurement conversion

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:10 am

Anonymous wrote:1 gallon= how many oz
Guest
 

Re: liquid measurement conversion

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:16 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:1 gallon= how many oz
1000oz
Guest
 

Re: cups to dl

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Knight wrote:
guest wrote:what is the dl equvilant to 1 1/3 cups?

1.33 cups is 0.3147 l, therefore 0.03147 dl.

Go to http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume


You slipped a digit there, as dL is deciliter. Should be 3.147 dL. (Although dL is rarely used. In Europe 31.47 cL may be used, in the US, 314.7 mL)

Had it been dekaliters, it would have been 0.3147 daL


You're wrong about Europeans not using dl.
I'm European, and dl is used all the time. All my recipies use dl, and everything you buy and have to mix to make ... "add x dl and stir". :)
We use dl.
I don't think I've ever come across a recipie that used cl.
Wouldn't make sense to me, as all the measuringcups is in dl. :)
Guest
 

liquid measurements

Postby jeff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:30 am

how much is of a tablespoon is 2cc?
jeff
 

Liquid measure in S.I. units.

Postby alex@thehastingscompany.c » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:39 am

For the purpose of accurate measurement of liquids versus cubic capacity.

10x10x10mm = 1 000,00 cu.mm. in a vessel filled to the brim will not equal 1mL due to friction and the results there off. However, medical measure are in mL. How is this derived?
alex@thehastingscompany.c
 


Return to Other math problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions