Help!!

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.

Moderator: convert-me.com

Help!!

Postby sweepsfairie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:29 am

Here is my problem,

The density of ethanol is 0.80g/mL. A) If 15 drops of ethanol from a medicine dropper weigh 0.60 grams, how many drops does it take for the dropper to dispense 1.0mL of ethanol? B) what is the volume , in mL, of 1 drop of ethanol? Use dimensional analysis

So I converted 0.60g to oz and got 0.021oz and then my oz to mL and got 0.63mL so 0.63mL would the volume of 1 drop, right? If that is right I am still having problems with part a
Stacey Brown
sweepsfairie

Re: Help!!

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:21 pm

sweepsfairie wrote:Here is my problem,

The density of ethanol is 0.80g/mL. A) If 15 drops of ethanol from a medicine dropper weigh 0.60 grams, how many drops does it take for the dropper to dispense 1.0mL of ethanol? B) what is the volume , in mL, of 1 drop of ethanol? Use dimensional analysis

So I converted 0.60g to oz and got 0.021oz and then my oz to mL and got 0.63mL so 0.63mL would the volume of 1 drop, right? If that is right I am still having problems with part a

I think you are mixing fluid and weight ounces, and they aren't the same thing at all. Solving a metric problem by using US Customary units as intermediates can NEVER be a good thing. I strongly recommend discarding such an approach. If the teacher teaches it, the teacher is wrong.

From the density, 0.6 g is 0.75 mL (0.6 g / 0.8 g/mL). There are 15 drops in this 0.75 mL. Therefore 0.05 mL per drop, 20 drops per mL.

Return to Other math problems