How do you convert NTU to % Transmissivity?? Please help!

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

How do you convert NTU to % Transmissivity?? Please help!

Postby scourtland » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:38 am

Hi There,

I am trying to convert 5 NTU to the equivalent expression in % transmissivity. Is there a way to convert these units?

Thanks for your help,

Sam Courtland
scourtland@integrated-aqua.com
scourtland

Re: How do you convert NTU to % Transmissivity?? Please hel

Postby Knight » Tue May 11, 2004 8:35 pm

scourtland wrote:Hi There,

I am trying to convert 5 NTU to the equivalent expression in % transmissivity. Is there a way to convert these units?

Because the optical measurement methods are different, the readings of a transmissometer and a nephelometer cannot be directly related - there's no table that converts NTUs to percent transmission for all waters.

For purposes of rough estimation, though, percent transmission can be related to NTUs as defined by formazin dilutions. For a transmissometer with a path length of 10 cm, the span of 20% to 80% transmission corresponds roughly to a turbidity span of 230 to 20 NTUs. For a 25-cm path length, the turbidity span is 60 to 10 NTUs.

Practitioners can relate NTUs and percent transmission for their particular waters only by comparing nephelometer readings with transmissometer readings for a number of samples, and generating a custom conversion table or algorithm.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Return to How to convert?