Help with old wrench size/measurements

Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements

Moderator: convert-me.com

Help with old wrench size/measurements

Postby fliffy42 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:29 am

Wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me some insight of the markings/size of an old wrench I have.

One end is marked "27" & "5/8 " but measures 1 1/8" across.

the other end is marked " 22 " & " 1/2 " but measures 1" across.

At first I thought it was mm and inches but that doesnt work. The marked sizes: 1/2" = 12.7mm & 5/8" = 15.875mm. The actual sizes: 1"= 25.4mm & 1 1/8" = 28.575mm.

Old metric? whitworth? I dont know much about such things.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ps.... a couple other clues maybe.... wrench is also marked "Ehlis" & "brevete". I am told that "brevete" may be french for "patented", and from what I saw online Ehlis may be a spanish (?) tool company.
fliffy42

Re: Help with old wrench size/measurements

Postby fliffy42 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Any clues or thought anyone?
fliffy42

Re: Help with old wrench size/measurements

Postby Dirtman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 am

fliffy42 wrote:Any clues or thought anyone?

Sorry but no. I've run searches a number of times, with few results. Of those few results, you were asking about this wrench in other forums. I take it there are no other markings on this wrench?

This could have been a tool that was included with some sort of industrial type machinery, for a particular machine only, and not marketed otherwise. As the industrial machine/toolmaker may have gone out of business before the advent of the Internet, no information was ever posted about it . . . not yet anyway.
Dirtman
Expert

Return to Exotic units