kw to kwh

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

kw to kwh

Postby BHORTON » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:39 am

:?: I need to convert "KW" to "KWH".

Postby shill » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:29 am

If I understand correctly, you need to convert kW to kWh. There is no such conversion, since kW is a measure of power, whereas kWh is a measure of energy. You can, however, convert between joules (J) and kWh by dividing J by 3 600 000, or multiplying kWh by the same number. To get a kWh value from a kW value, you would need two values; the power in kW, and the number of hours (h) that the power has been used. Then you would simply multiply the kW by the h, thus getting kWh.

also confused

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:43 am

I also have this problem of converting kW to kWH as I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost me to run certain equipment. I understand what you said, but if a freezer mfg tells me that the freezer will use 12 kW per day, then is that the same as 0.5 kWH (12 kW/24 hours)? That doesn't seem like much when we pay about $0.12 per kWH. But using this rate, is the cost per month then = $0.12/kWH * 0.5 kWH * 24hrs/day * 30 days/mth?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:06 am

I think there is some confusion here. The number of kw is the amount of power it is using when it is on. A light bulb turns on and off with a switch. A freezer turns itself on and off as needed according to a thermostat.

Kilowatt-hours are a measure of the total energy used (usually over a longer period of time). It is the amount of power times the number of hours.

Lets look at a 100 W light bulb (which is 0.1 kW). If it is on one hour per day, that is 0.1 kWh per day, and 3 kWh per month (assuming a 30 day month). The same bulb running 10 hours per day, would consume 1 kWh per day, 30 kWh per month, and if it ran 24/7, 2.4 kWh per day, 72 kWh per month.

I think your freezer manufacturer is estimating 12 kWh per day, assuming some on/off cycle to keep it at temperature. It would use about 360 kWh per month.

Return to How to convert?