Is this the amount of sand I need?

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

Is this the amount of sand I need?

Postby sweets98 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:56 am

We have a sandbox that we would like to sand for this weekend. I was trying to get an idea of how much sand we would need so we have enough bags. I have seen bags of play sand in both 50 and 60 lbs bags at Lowe's and Wal-Mart. The sand box is 4'X4'X6". I used a sand calculator and got .4 tons. Then I found this website and tried to convert tons to pounds...and came up with a total of 13 bags if I bought the 60lbs ones. Is that way off? Seems like a lot to me but I have problems guessing with this type of thing. Thanks!
sweets98

Postby shill » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:42 am

First of all, I am going to convert your problem to metric units, for no reason other than to be annoying. Your sandbox is 1.2192 m X 1.2192 m X 0.1524 m, but that doesn't help me because I don't know the density of your sand. According to you, your sand has a mass of 362.873896 kg. Also, your bags of sand have a mass of 27.2155422 kg. If we round the units, that comes down to 362.9 kg/27.2 kg, which equals approximately 13 bags (rounded down, so you may need an extra.). So you were right all along.
shill
Expert

Postby sweet98 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:54 am

Thanks! It seemed like a lot but I guess I'm not seeing the sand box in it's actual size. Thanks again for the help! :)
sweet98

Re: Is this the amount of sand I need?

Postby Knight » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:51 am

sweets98 wrote:We have a sandbox that we would like to sand for this weekend. I was trying to get an idea of how much sand we would need so we have enough bags. I have seen bags of play sand in both 50 and 60 lbs bags at Lowe's and Wal-Mart. The sand box is 4'X4'X6". I used a sand calculator and got .4 tons. Then I found this website and tried to convert tons to pounds...and came up with a total of 13 bags if I bought the 60lbs ones. Is that way off? Seems like a lot to me but I have problems guessing with this type of thing. Thanks!
To do it in English engineering units, so that shill feels justified: :wink:

One cubic foot of sand averages 100 lbs, so a 60 lb bag holds 0.6 ft³ QED.

4'x4'x6" gives us 8 ft³, 8 Ft³ divided by 0.6 ft³/bag tells us we need 13.3 bags.
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Return to How to convert?