convert water PSI to air PSI

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another

Moderator: convert-me.com

convert water PSI to air PSI

Postby Brainless » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:17 am

lost in boise i am lol im having a hard time getting a straight answer on this ? i have im trying to convert water PSI to air PSI. here is what i am doing i have a 36inch ductual iron pipe, i have had it to 150 PSI with water in it ,so i guess and i got a slow leak so my ? is im going to test it again with air so what would be the right PSI with air to be around the same or is there a conversion chart i could get or look at to help me or pick your brains for my answer all the engineers wont give me a answer or at least a straight one so plz help he out thank u guyz and gals for your time for even reading this plz any help is helpful ty :idea:
Brainless

Re: convert water PSI to air PSI

Postby Knight » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:31 pm

Brainless wrote:lost in boise i am lol im having a hard time getting a straight answer on this ? i have im trying to convert water PSI to air PSI. here is what i am doing i have a 36inch ductual iron pipe, i have had it to 150 PSI with water in it ,so i guess and i got a slow leak so my ? is im going to test it again with air so what would be the right PSI with air to be around the same or is there a conversion chart i could get or look at to help me or pick your brains for my answer all the engineers wont give me a answer or at least a straight one so plz help he out thank u guyz and gals for your time for even reading this plz any help is helpful ty :idea:
There is no difference between 150 Lbs/in² of water and 150 Lbs/in² of air. Pressure is pressure.

Any diffrences you might find in the leak rates will depend on several other factors, including, but not limited to: 1) Water is not compressible. 2) Air has a lower molecular size, hence can escape more readilly through smaller holes. It's easier to make something water-tight than it is to make it airtight.[/list]
William J. Knight
Health Physicist
Los Alamos National Labs
Knight
Expert

Postby Brainless » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:51 am

so 150 Psi of water in a 36 in. pipe is the same as 150 Psi of compressed air ? i guess im confused cuase we will pump the pipe with water to 150 Psi and when we test with air we only pressure it up to only 5 Psi of compressed air, maybe my head is full of air lol :roll: :shock:
Brainless

Return to How to convert?